Add a course on the App

GRennie
I took a picture of the map I want to run with the app and lined it up to make the .kmz
Now I can see that map in my offline events but there doesn't seem to be a way to add the course onto it.

I even emailed myself the kmz and used the check sites webpage to create a second event but still no option to add a course - I guess the only way is via some other software and then uploading the .kml?

It would be really nice to be able to create a course on the phone or website. It seems like quite a complicated process to make a simple event, am I missing something?

Re: Add a course on the App

MichaelRaz
If you already have the KMZ in your home folder on the phone, the last item in the menu list is "QuickStart" which allows you to build a course on either the normal google earth map or add in a KMZ (the one from your home folder).  I think this is what you are looking for.  I have not really used the QuickStart much but a couple of items to note (and I could be wrong):  The S1 and F1 need to have uppercase letters, and, the course is laid out (assuming a point to point) in the order you add the controls so start with S1 and then add controls and finish with F1. Again - I have only limited experience with it.

Re: Add a course on the App

GRennie
Thanks! Yeah that’s what I wanted. Not sure how I missed that. Is there an easy way to share a QuickStart event from your local events with others?

Re: Add a course on the App

MichaelRaz
Don’t think so - designed for a single user.  Next step is “check site”.  Not difficult to make a course (kml) file just in google earth and, with the KMZ, you have what you need.

Re: Add a course on the App

You can export your QuickStart course via email as a KML file. Then you can use your KMZ map and KML course in CheckSites. This gives you a 6-digit code you can share with others.

So in summary, if you don't want to use any tools other than MapRun: Create a KMZ map and email it; Create a KML course (in QuickStart) and email it. Then use CheckSites.

When you want to do more elaborate things, tools like oomap.co.uk or a mapping tool and Google Earth etc etc allow you to create and edit maps and courses.

Peter