App GPS WAypoints

David Smith
Hi  I started using an app called GPS Waypoints for marking waypoints on walks etc and a bit for mapping.
It occurred to me that it could be used for the control kml file in Maprun
I tried it recently, you can name the waypoints, so I did starting with S1 and then 1,2 3.... and finished with F1.  You can download the kml file from the app by exporting or sharing.
I gave it about 10/15 seconds at each control feature to obtain an accuracy of 3 to 3.5m  using my smartphone.
This worked for me without modification, but off course a text editor could be used to say rename a station or insert F1 if same as S1 etc.
Anyone else doing this or similar?

David Smith WCH UK

Re: App GPS WAypoints

MichaelRaz
I have done something similar with a different app - it can be a handy way to go.

Here is another approach that may fit certain use cases especially if you have a KMZ map you want to use and want to stick with Maprun:

Set up a Check Site with only the map (no controls).  Make sure you set the options to show current location and "Display Location Pins).  When you "Go To Start" the little waypoint icon will be showing on the upper right of the screen where you can hit this and name the waypoint (S1,1,2,..F1 as you describe).  When finished use the upload track function.

The resulting GPX files will contain both the track (which you don't need) and the waypoints.  Lots of options but gpx2kml.com will (online) convert to a KML with the option to only extract the waypoints.  The resulting KML (despite have all that stupid formatting stuff in it) will work in MapRun with or without any editing.

Not any better a method than you are using - only advantage is it uses the KMZ map so you can possibly validate control locations to a map a bit better.

Re: App GPS WAypoints

David Smith
Thanks Michael for your response.
I have now tried it, I was able to obtain an accuracy of about 2 to 3.5m according to the app.
When I downloaded the KML into Google Earth, there were some small discrepancies, I expect Google Earth is only accurate to a few m anywhere.  But I did fine tune the controls to google earth, which was a very quick process as it was moving the control a few metres, the controls were mainly on light columns.

Re: App GPS WAypoints

MichaelRaz
You likely already know this but take the accuracy value with a grain of salt - it really only means the satellite numbers and signal strength are great quality - the phone/watch does not really know how accurate it is.  Things like multi-path will offset the track but still report a great accuracy (and that accuracy rating is provided by the location service on the phone and is not generally app dependent - although iPhone and Android do do things differently).  I would suspect that Google Earth is more accurate than the track most times.  Also, when you stop for a waypoint, you may see a bunch of zig zagging around of the track - most systems use a smoothing algorithm that utilizes motion - when you stop the GPS data point will jump around within the accuracy zone.  I often use an external Garmin Glo2 connected to my iphone.  This allows me to keep the Glo in a position with good sky view.  With an iphone, the IOS location services will use the Glo rather than the internal GPS and present this to the apps (can't control this with an iphone - more flexible with Android).  Beside being able to position/wear the device better, the Glo does a better job of stopping the zig zags when you stopped to get a waypoint and, with an iphone, reports 4 times a second (up to 10 with Android) rather than the normal 1/sec.