Can an Administrator change an Event after its been Published?

Can an Administrator change an Event after its been Published?

There is no specific function provided to edit an event after its been published.

However, an Administrator can delete an event and recreate it with changed files and/or changed settings - whilst retaining the same name. Results are linked to an event by the name of the event, so existing results will remain in place.

Before changing an event there are a few things to think about.

- If there are material/significant changes to the event, I would normally recommend giving the event a new name... and therefore future results will be against that event rather than the original event. This is mainly for fairness, in ensuring that everyone who runs in the event does so under the same conditions.

- If you do retain the original name (normally motivated by the fact that there are already results against the event), remember that there is no easy way to tell the versions apart on a phone (as they have the same name). If the event is changed, you might need to recommend to everyone to select the event again to get the latest version.

- One of the design principles of MapRun from the outset, is that it needs to be able to operate without a data connection to the Internet. This is partly achieved, by allowing users to select the event, whilst online, and automatically retaining a local copy of selected events on the phone itself. One of the implications of this is that once an event has been published, you cannot be sure whether runners are using a version they selected whilst the original version was published or are using the most up to date version.

- If a PIN is being used to keep an event confidential, the PIN will change if the event name is changed, as the PIN is derived from a hash algorithm of the event name.

- In summary, it is best to validate your map/course in CheckSites and then publish a final version that you don't change. (recognising that there will always be circumstances where this isn't possible). If you do need to make significant change, consider changing the name eg My Great Course PXAC becomes My Great Course A PXAC, for the sake of fairness.

Re: Can an Administrator change an Event after its been Published?

Mike Godfree
Appreciate your points Peter about fairness and runners having already downloaded the event.
And yes I have already deleted and reset an event with the same name to make slight changes.
But I would like the chance to edit an event partly to see what the settings are.  We have a couple of events which I wanted to change from Scatter to unlimited time Score and I believe I could achieve that for MaprunF users by changing the settings.
Events are hardly on a level playing field as it is with some of our events having been run in very different conditions e.g. day or night plus the vagaries of GPS.  Indeed I have found the best way to a good result is to run with my Garmin and upload the track manually.  No hanging around waiting for GPS signals!
Thanks, Mike

Re: Can an Administrator change an Event after its been Published?

Mike

At the end of the day, Admins can delete an event, change it completely and re-publish it with the same name, then refresh results and the old results will be attached to the new event... as will new results.

The option is there, if the circumstances warrants it.

Peter