Check site upload error

Guy Lingford
Error message when attempting to upload a KML format course file

'Error: Error in the file content - Error parsing the kml file (RangeError (index): Invalid value: Valid value range is empty: 0)'

What does it mean?
What needs to be corrected?

Thanks

Re: Check site upload error

Guy,

What does it mean? MapRun can't read the course from your KML file. KML files are in XML format, and the first thing MapRun does is to use a standard XML "parser" to extract the content. Either the file is not in a valid XML format or there were no controls found in the file.

What needs to be corrected?
There are many ways to create a KML file, so we are not able to say precisely what needs to be corrected, without more details.

A few suggestions:
- double check that the file is actually the file you intended to use,
- try opening the file in Google Earth (or similar),
- inspect it with a text editor to see what the contents are,
- if you are still having problems post the file here or email it to support@maprun.net.

Re: Check site upload error

Guy Lingford
Thanks Peter

I started again, created a fresh KML file, added some check controls and the upload worked! (File 376582). I've also been able to pick the course up on my iPhone and sent it to my Garmin 935. Just need to run the route to double check the placement of the controls.

My initial file included controls that were located just outside the boundary of the KMZ format map (but were on the KML file). Would that have resulted in the error message that I saw and prompted my query?

Baby steps!

Cheers

Re: Check site upload error

Guy,

Good to hear.

Controls outside the boundary of the KMZ? No, this is not a problem.

Regards

Re: Check site upload error

Guy Lingford
The good news continues!

I tested the first file that I created successfully - all controls present and correctly located.

A second KML file has now been added to Check Site - more controls and, notwithstanding some being outside the borders of the KMZ file, the KML file creation, upload and transfer to my Garmin watch has been successful. I'll test this over the next few days.

Guess that practice and patience are the key learnings here!

Thanks for your time and guidance.

Re: Check site upload error

Guy,

There are many ways to create a KML file. I think the key is, to get to know the way you prefer and be aware of what can go wrong.

Our recommended method is to use the "Create KML Course" function in the MapRun Console:
https://console.maprun.net/#/event_create_files

On that page, tap the "How to Use" button for instructions. It is possible to import and edit a course created in PurplePen (.PPEN file) or a course created in any other system that can create IOF XML files.

Peter