Closing event but keeping results and tracks

Closing event but keeping results and tracks

Simon Oxley
I have an event which I want to 'close' to prevent/discourage further attempts. But I'd like to keep both the results table and if possible the RouteGadget tracks. Option 2 in the Delete Event menu sounds like it might achieve this but it recommends "Do not use this option if Option 1 is shown".

My question is:
1. Does Option 2 achieve what I want?
2. The warning suggests this is a bad thing to do - are there adverse consequences?

...and I guess:

3. If I wanted to reinstate the event in the future would there be a path to this?

Re: Closing event but keeping results and tracks

Simon

There are two components for an event:
- The files in the folder that MapRunF accesses to get the event
- An event setup in RoutGadget to display tracks and browse splits

Normally it is best to keep these in step. Option 2, was there mainly to allow deleting the files for MapRunF in a case where somehow the RouteGadget event is non existent.

But you could use it to leave RouteGadget in place and remove the Event from those listed in MapRunF. (Except for people who already have the Event on their phone and can still use that copy).

Clear labelling on any printed map of any restriction of when runs are allowed might be useful.

To reinstate such an event (to be a continuation of the original events), I suggest using Option 1 to delete the RouteGadget event, and then re-create the event with the same name (this is to avoid having two RouteGadget Events of the same name).

This is not a scenario I have tested - so let me know if you have problems.

We are looking into allowing Admins to specify dates (from and to) for each event: Dates (and times?) for when the event can be run (ie "Go to Start"), when tracks will be displayed and when the results table will be displayed... but that will be a longer-term project.

Re: Closing event but keeping results and tracks

Simon Oxley
Thanks Peter - I'll try that.

The enforced time limits you suggest as new features sounds good - but I'm sure you have a long list of candidates!

Simon