Confirm exit

knoddie
Just wondering if the user exits out of an event they have started to change a setting (toggle between display orienteering map on / off), then returns to the event by clicking the go to start button, does the app keep recording checkpoints / time from the previous session, or does it reset? Also having an issue with the opacity of overlay setting, it doesn’t show the opacity version, and reverts to a 100% setting. Using Maprun7

Re: Confirm exit

Hi,

If you actually tap the home icon and then confirm you want to exit, then that closes off that run.

There is a feature that allows you to resume from an uncompleted run ... That is, if Start has been punched by Finish hasn't, and the phone shuts down, or App crashes or is forced to close ... when you next open MapRun, it asks if you would like to resume an uncompleted run ... It reloads the event and restores the punches, track and time to allow you to continue.

Unfortunately, this doesn't give you the opportunity to change settings before resuming.

On the Opacity:  In MapRun v7 I've just done a test of selecting a recent event, changed the opacity to 20% (or 0%) and then "Go to Start" and I see a see-through map ...I find this feature more useful if you change the background map to Satellite.

Can you give more details of the problem you are having please.

Re: Confirm exit

knoddie
Thanks Peter, the opacity issue seems to have resolved. Is there any way to cache the background Open Street Map for when there is no phone signal? I am using iPhone 13 and as soon as I go off line, the background map does not display.

Re: Confirm exit

OK on the opacity.

I believe there are ways to cache the Open Street Map (OSM) tiles, but we haven't implemented any in MapRun, as the main-stream usage is to display an "Orienteering Map" as an overlay on the underlying OSM/Satellite base. To ensure you can go off-line, we hold the overlay locally as a KMZ file on the phone.

If you actually want to display the background of your course as OSM, and go off-line with that, the current approach in MapRun would be to create a KMZ file from the OSM imagery and use that as the "overlay".

There are various tools for producing KMZ's ... but a simple approach that might be "good enough" would be to get an image of the area in OSM (even with a simple screen capture on a PC/Mac), and then convert that image into a KMZ using function at the MapRun console: https://console.maprun.net/#/kmz_create

Re: Confirm exit

knoddie
Thank you Peter, I using a kmz developed as you recommend, given the event is over a large area, it is very low resolution when you zoom in significantly. That's ok, we will make do with that,

Re: Confirm exit

OK - so that should be fine off-line.

Having said that, most events provide participants with a printed map as the primary navigation tool.
The image on the phone screen is secondary ... and mainly for track presentation after the event.

But you might have a different scenario....

Re: Confirm exit

MichaelRaz
If I can offer another alternative to try

https://oomap.dna-software.co.uk/#/new/streeto-LIDAR-5/8/-0.9000/51.8000/

so you can quickly get a kmz of whatever area you want based on OSM (with or without contours). You can adjust the area/scale then balance the resolution/file size using the rendering options.  Assuming you are not doing anything fancy it takes less than a minute.  One note - you need to 'Save and get PDF map' before the KMZ button is active.
It's a great tool for doing up quick pseudo orienteering maps and even basic courses with all the exports for MapRun.  With a fairly simple couple of steps you can bring the map into OOM (the software mapping app) and use Purple Pen for more fancy courses.

Re: Confirm exit

knoddie
Thank you, this helped, now have a map of higher resolution.