Create KMZ from PDF?

Ken Gullins
This post was updated on .
Are there any plans afoot to support creation of a kmz map directly from a pdf in the MapRun app?
Currently it seems to only support conversion of other image files like jpg but, more and more, map images from hiking trail clubs and so on, are being distributed in pdf format.

I know that O clubs have other, more specialized, and powerful tools available for this purpose so I'm asking more as a casual user.

Edit: I created a kmz file from a hiking club's pdf as a test using "Custom Maps" but it was rejected by MapRun's uploader with this message "Error: Error in the file content - Error in the KMZ file format - (FileSystemException: Directory listing failed, path = '/var/www/html/rg/tmp/unzipped-checksite/files/' (OS Error: No such file or directory, errno = 2))"

Re: Create KMZ from PDF?

Ken

On your second point first... KMZ is a very broad format. MapRun needs the contents to be the same as produced by OCAD (the default Orienteering Mapping system). The format is described at: http://maprunners.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/6/6/6866500/technical_overview_-_extract_-_file_formats_v1.pdf

On your first point... I have a backlog of feature requests.... so I wouldn't get this that anytime soon.

Have you tried sites like: https://pdf2jpg.net to convert the pdf to jpg? (I haven't used this recently - but it might be worth a try).

Also you might find it easier to use the desktop version of the "Create KMZ" function, rather than using the one in MapRunF on a small phone screen. Have a look at: https://console.maprun.net.

Peter