Do I need a Map for a Published Event?

We require a map for Published Events so that:
- At the end of their run, people can see their track on the O-Map (and see their location during the event if that is enabled… some trail-type events don’t mind showing current location), and
- We use RouteGadget for the display of tracks in the results … It can’t just show a track on the Google Satellite background… and most people want to see their track on the O-map anyway

Administrators setting up events, can set lots of options, and one of them allows turning OFF the map layer.
This feature was originally included mainly for mappers, who sometimes want to see their current location on their draft map and sometimes on the satellite image

Runners (who look at their screen) will normally see the course with the Orienteering Map as the background, but with this option selected. They will see the underlying  Google Satellite image. (That is, assuming they are online).

MapRun/MapRunF will operate without being online during the run (except for features such as seeing the Google Map, and live tracking)

Re: Do I need a Map for a Published Event?

GFazekas
For a very complex scoring course i.e Waikato with several controls, the printed map is better.

If we would use the maprun tool as gps watch, controlling our run in the background, not required the layer with the map.

However, for average courses, for beginners, for courses with "V" option the background map layer is a great advantage, the map should not be printed, easy to share and gives exact location information for beginners.
We created several courses with V option in juniper labyrinth, that could be organized hardly without the map layer, was interesting not only for beginners.