Error Code in Checksites

carlos
Newby - Can anyone explain this error code for me when trying to enable checksites:
Error: Error in the file content - Error parsing the kml file (RangeError (index): Invalid value: Valid value range is empty: 0)

Re: Error Code in Checksites

MichaelRaz
Can you attach the KML (KMZ) file?  I can guess but having the file would likely make it easy to figure out.

Re: Error Code in Checksites

carlos

Hi Michael,

Here they are... I'm no expert although i thought i had done pretty well in following the guide.

Rgds, Carl

Re: Error Code in Checksites

carlos

Re: Error Code in Checksites

MichaelRaz
Your KMZ is fine (works in Check Sites).  The KML you posted - was this supposed to be the course KML?  It is the embedded KML for the map KMZ.  Sorry if I'm covering stuff you know but:

The map KMZ is a compressed set of files and folders (using a good archiving tool like 7-Zip you can open and see the contents).  It contains a KML file that "describes" the boundaries of each tile (jpg map tile).  It also incudes a "files" folder that contains all the jpg map tiles.  So the KMZ is the map.

The required KML file is a list of control locations and is just a text file with the KML extension for Google Earth.  As I noted, the one attached is the same file as the one embedded in the KMZ so not a control location file.

You can set up a Check Site without a course (KML file) and just the map (KMZ).

Let me know if this makes sense.

Re: Error Code in Checksites

carlos
Hi Micheal,
Many thanks for your help.  I've attached 2 screenshots to hopefully explain how i created my KML file containing my controls.  I simply pinned my controls on google earth and over my map, right clicked on the course name and saved as a KML - Was this incorrect in some way?

  59E2D8A2-EFB5-424F-9470-3C1F77CEBCE1_(5).jpg635C29E2-C351-4EF2-846E-DAD032BA6316_(2).jpg

Re: Error Code in Checksites

MichaelRaz
Difficult to tell from the screenshots but I suspect you are pinning and saving as part of the KMZ map (likely something else as well based on what I see in your KML).  I'll try to walk you through one way here:

Start point - Google Earth with Map KMZ open
Right click on 'Temporary Places' ->Add->Folder
This will open up the Edit Folder box where you can change the name if you want (I used Controls in this example.  See 1_Capture.gif.  The key here is it needs to be a separate folder than the KMZ map.
Select OK then right click on the Controls folder and select ->Add->Placemark
This will bring up the placemark "box" where you can select the name and move the placemark on the map then select OK
Do this for all the controls.
To Save, Right click on the Controls folder and select "Save Place As" then select the KML option - the default is KMZ so be careful - and save with the name you want.

I'm skipping bits and pieces here as you may want to open the KML and edit it etc. but normally you should have:
1.  A KMZ map file without any controls on it that will be used on the phone (your map has the controls on it already which may be what you want)
2.  A KML control file with the list of controls - this will overlaid on the phone KMZ map.
3.  A printed map if desired (normally with controls).

To be honest I do not know how you got to the state you did based on the files you provided as neither of them have the control locations embedded (I initially thought you might have saved the controls within the KMZ but don't see them).  Anyway, hopefully this will help (along with some screenshots attached).  Obviously this is very basic demo and there are lots of ways to do it as long as you end up with the two primary files.

Another note - the KMZ map file does not have to be named the same as the course file (no need for PXAC codes etc).  The same KMZ file can be used multiple times for courses on the same map.

1_Capture.JPG
2_Capture.JPG
3_Capture.JPG
4_Capture.JPG

Re: Error Code in Checksites

carlos
Michael,
That's great, it's now working :) Thanks for all your help, you're a star!
Rgds, Carl