Event stops after first control with a 'mis-punch'

Event stops after first control with a 'mis-punch'

dtolmanMorlaix
Hello All,
First, thank you for MapRun. I'm hoping to organize 'bike-and-run' events with it.

This is my second test of making a map. My event is starting but then stopping after the first control.
Here are the KMZ and KML

https://fluentlistener.com/student_ressources/maprun/squareRoute.kmz

https://fluentlistener.com/student_ressources/maprun/squareRoute.kml

More detail:
I opened https://oomap.co.uk and created my map and controls right on the website, then exported the KMZ and KML. I got those into the correct folder in my phone's memory, then I open the MapRunF application, I select event, then, access local events (offline), then import a personal event, then choose my event. I click go to start. I see the little red line showing that my GPS knows where I am. I move to the start/finish mark and I get the expected sound and see on the screen that S1 has been ticked and I see the timer start as expected. I move to C1 and hear a tone and see that C1 has been found but I get an immediate second ring, the timer stops and I get the following message: Mis-punch. I know that the event has stopped because, instead of seeing my map and my other markers that I haven't yet punched, I see a button saying "show all results" or something like that and the timer has stopped. I can go to start again, but the same thing happens: I mis-punch at C1.

Perhaps I did something wrong in setting up the course and you can point me to an article that explains it?

My assumption is that the application does NOT want me to punch C1 first.

I thought that the order in which I created the control points on  https://oomap.co.uk would have been the order in which they should be punched. Or perhaps the numbering on the control points determines the order in which they should be punched.  To be safe, I created them in the order in which they should be punched and following the convention C1, C2, C3...

Probably don't have to tell you that I know nothing about orienteering and did not know what a kmz was last Friday. So don't worry about insulting me by repeating the basics. Fire away!

Re: Event stops after first control with a 'mis-punch'

MichaelRaz
I believe you will find that the controls need to be a number not a character based string like you have them (Just showing the name tags - not the complete <Placement></Placement> tag content here for simplicity):
<Placemark><name>S1</name>...</Placemark>
<Placemark><name>C1</name>...</Placemark>
<Placemark><name>C10</name>...</Placemark>
<Placemark><name>C11</name>...</Placemark>

Just remove the 'C" in each line <name>

If the course is a point to point (PXAC) then they need to be in the order of the course - If a Score-O then doesn't matter.  You can see that oomap sorted them here alphabetically rather than the C1,C2... you wanted - not sure if you need to re-sort or not - depends on the type of course.
Double check but the attached should be what you need.  I also changed the course name in the file to "Course1' - not 100% sure that is still needed???
oom_newFixed.kml

Michael

Re: Event stops after first control with a 'mis-punch'

dtolmanMorlaix
Thank you Michael! I put your modified file into the phone and will try it out!

Re: Event stops after first control with a 'mis-punch'

dtolmanMorlaix
Actually Michael, do you agree with this idea? My problem could come from setting up a test course in which the first punch is too close to finish.

(Sounds crazy, but I wanted to test the system and hear constant beeps during my run. Often, when we test systems, we have unusual problems because we set up environments that differ from reality.)

My start and finish are the same point and the first marker is very close to those two. In addition, I set a punch tolerance of 50m.

So I  get a start and then quickly my first punch but I am still so close to my start-finish point and using such a high tolerance that I am getting the F1 detected. And my mispunch message is normal because I didn't hit the other controls before finishing.

Hoping to test your file at lunch and have my current theory bolstered by getting another failure due to spacing. Then I'll remove that first marker and try again. Thanks!

Re: Event stops after first control with a 'mis-punch'

MichaelRaz
I did not assume you had been trying to break it!  What you describe is a known situation and the system is working as expected.  After Start, finish will not punch Finish until one other control has been punched. The log available during the event and/or the "Show Details" on the results page (phone) top right) will show this.  Not really convinced as to value in this testing but...

It did show me that the OOMap web app sorts the control order when building the KML (with or without alpha characters included) so, if doing a pt to pt it is important to enter them in the order required and not use any alpha characters as this will mess the order up.  I don't think OOMap has the ability to draw a pt to pt map anyway so, for Score-O's it would not matter.

I may well of been wrong in thinking that with MapRunF the controls need to be numeric - I'll need to try this out today for fun.