GPS

Sarah Mansel
Has anyone got any idea what the 'GPS Battery Save Mode' in 'Options and settings' does.
I have finally managed to get my phone GPS to work sufficiently well to use MapRunF and wonder what this option within the MapRunF app does.
Thanks

Re: GPS - Battery Save Mode

The "Battery Save Mode" enables a feature which uses the motion sensors in your phone to turn OFF GPS tracking when you are stationary. The phone then looks for motion again before turning GPS back on. The aim is to extend battery time.

Android and iOS do this slightly differently and so the delays in recommending tracking can vary, particularly if the phone is asleep at the time (ie the screen is blank and so the phone will have MapRunF in background mode).

These motion sensors are the same ones used to try to determine if you are walking, running, riding or in a vehicle, as shown in the footer of the main run screen.

By default, this switch is OFF - meaning that the GPS tracks continuously. Earlier versions of MapRunF had this default to ON and it appeared to work well. However with the wide range of devices being used for MapRunF, it was decided to turn this OFF so there was no risk of the GPS being inadvertently turned off when a runner was near a control.

You are certainly welcome to try it... particularly if your battery is running low on charge or you are participating in a long event.

Re: GPS - Battery Save Mode

Sarah Mansel
Thanks for this Peter,
I seem to have found a mode in which my phone GPS works and the battery has been okay so far.
I may experiment on using the 'battery save mode' because I think it is important to be able to anticipate other users' problems - so I can mitigate any potential negative experience.
Sarah

On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 20:50, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/GPS-tp87p89.html
To unsubscribe from GPS, click here.
NAML