Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

basilbrush
Have been trialing maprunf with the local club. i did use maprun (original version) and loved that i could get notiifications pushed to my watch (garmin forerunner 410 and iphone 5 combination) as it meant i could continue to use a map rather than rely on looking at the small map on my phone.

Currently though i have a few issues getting it to work. I get one notification - unless i turn notifications off and on again and then i get the next notification only nothing more. I also dont always get notified by beep that i've punched a control (as an aside it would be nice to be able to change the notification sound beeps for the app to something other than a beep)

Is the instinct supported? I get notifications from other apps during my run so i know notifications work (and why i would rather something else that a beep)

Re: Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

Andrew H
Basil,
Nicole and I have done a fair bit of experimentation with iphones paired to Garmin watches using MapRunF V4 and the Beta of V5. We are experiencing exactly what you describe, Peter was hoping that V5 may fix this issue, but the beta version has not.

So with the notifications to Garmin not being of any use. There are two options run with the phone asleep or awake.

Whilst asleep the control punch beep is the default notification sound, which is very quiet and not adjustable.

Whilst awake the iphone makes a nice loud "Ping". So this is our preferred option. Settings>Display & Brightness> Auto-Lock set to Never and Raise to Wake - Turned off.

Re: Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

basilbrush
I have an update to this.

On the last run i found the i forgot to start the GPS function on my watch. guess what - all the controls registered fine on my watch notifications.

So maybe was the watches GPS that seems to be interfering with bluetooth notifications.

Of course i had a horrible time getting my track out of maprun and into strava.

Re: Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

MichaelRaz
i was not getting consistent watch notifications in earlier versions even after playing with the iPhone notification groupings settings (I found it would notified the first one but, unless I cleared it on the watch, would not notify subsequent controls).  Version 5.0.8 states 'improved Garmin watch notification' in the release notes and I found it to work really well!  My son has an Instinct and he has had no problems getting notifications while using the phone app but tracking a route on the watch (and works well with my 5X).  Have you checked the "Smart notifications" setting for the watch in Garmin Connect Mobile to make sure it is set to "ALL" while in an activity?
I do tend to just use MapRunG now anyway!

Re: Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

basilbrush
ah yes i've done it again and it worked with the gps. it was a few versions behind when i tried the feature and not used it since.

Re: Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

CamNhungDinh
There are two options run with the phone asleep/ awake. Whilst asleep the control punch beep is the default notification sound, which is very quiet and not adjustable.

Re: Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

Hi,

The last time I checked, Apple wouldn't let Apps in the background use alert tones other than the default notification sound. I think that may have been relaxed. I'll check it for the next version.

If you wear a watch that gets notifications from your phone, you may have more options.

Re: Garmin Instinct and Iphone6

couponswa