Half the punches missing

bengreen
Hello, we at Thames Valley are enjoying MapRun and it's working very well for us in urban areas. Just for fun we've created a few forest courses and, unsurprisingly, this is a bit of a struggle for the GPS but has worked OK for many people. However, today one of our entrants went round a course and only picked up around half the punches, despite his track clearly showing that he'd been inside the circle of all the controls except one at the end. In fact, the results validation tool is showing red for a control where he was only 1.9m from it! What is the most likely explanation for this?

Here's his track

http://www.p.fne.com.au/rg/cgi-bin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=5221&kieli=&cID=1&pID=50003

The event is TVOC Kings Wood West Orange PXAC

Thanks in advance
Ben

Re: Half the punches missing

Ben

Thanks for your query.

What the logs indicate is that:
- this is the first run with this phone
- during this run the phone reports its GPS accuracy for almost all data points as either exactly 16m or 32m (sometimes 8m - ie powers of two, which I've not seen before!)
- currently MapRunF is configured to not punch controls if the GPS reports its accuracy as being worse than 30m, which would explain why many visits didn't punch. The idea here is, if the GPS location is bouncing around say 30, 40, 50 m from your current location we don't want random punches of controls... this can be a particular issue pre-start as the GPS is settling.

The user can quickly remedy this with the HITMO function.

Can you send through more details of the phone make and model please. (either to here or email to the support email address on www.mapprunners.com.au).

Re: Half the punches missing

bengreen
Peter,

Thanks, that's interesting.

The phone is an IPhone7

Ben

Re: Half the punches missing

SROCMapper

 I don't know the answer but I would like to. I have had the same experience. I've yet to get every control recorded when doing a maprunF course, tried three so far. I'm not counting the first time I tried when maprunF couldn't find my gps signal at all when I was in the woods, only when I was at home.

Re: Half the punches missing

Hi - If you can point to some uploaded tracks we can investigate further.
The answer to Ben's question is further down in the thread... We have since increased the default cut-off for poor GPS accuracy. (Now 50m in MapRunF 5.0.9 - but is user controllable).
Peter