How to Generate Printed Map for Local Private Event

How to Generate Printed Map for Local Private Event

hugoselbie
I've uploaded, georeferenced and created a map using the quickstart method on MapRun6, but I can't figure out how to export that as a pdf file so I can use the map for compass orienteering rather than GPS nav.

Can someone help me or point me to steps on how to do it? I've been searching and can't find anything.

Re: How to Generate Printed Map for Local Private Event

Hugo,

For published events (those setup by an Administrator), the MapRun Admin system provides a PurplePen copy of the event as published to the MapRun App. This can be used for printing (often after adding some extras such as control descriptions, event name etc.)

This option is not provided for the simpler "personal" types of events, so you would need to prepare the printable version using the normal Orienteering tools (OCAD, PurplePen, OOMap etc).

Often people are taking a "traditional" event that they have a print of and are wanting to try that in MapRun.

Re: How to Generate Printed Map for Local Private Event

MichaelRaz
Edit:  I see Peter posted as I was writing but I'll leave this up anyway

I may be wrong but don't think there is a single, direct process for this as the method you are using is very quick and dirty and designed just for the GPS Nav/orienteering with the app.   First thing to come to mind:

You can, on a computer, drop both the KMZ and KML into google earth (assuming you emailed yourself both the KMZ and KML) and then do a screen shot/print.  This will not show as a pt to pt course, just the pins and labels on the map (but you could modify the pin shapes/colours as desired - even edit the image screenshot).

After this, although I can think of a number of ways to do it, all involve other applications and would not be really quick.  IMO, given what I think you really want to do, I would suggest you would be better to start with the OOM web application https://oomap.co.uk/global/#/new/streeto_global/4/-0.1000/51.1000/
where you can select your map area and style, add a simplistic course onto it and then export the PDF, KML and KMZ files.  The KML and KMZ files can be used to do a CheckSite with Maprun if you also wanted the GPS punching, while using the map to navigate. If you wanted to draw lines between controls for a Pt to Pt then you could export the JPEG and edit this then print.

As I mentioned, next options are more complex, such as using OpenOrienteering Mapper (an app, not the web app mentioned above), to take the KMZ as a template map and add controls or use Purple Pen to make the course - a lot depends on whether you want GPS punching as well as a printed map.

I'll this there for now - and as I started with - there may be some way to do this quickly that I'm not familiar with.