KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

chris-hopkinson@hotmail.co.uk
I am struggling to email the KMZ files from the Checksite KMZ generator, the email goes, but without a usable attachment. It has worked before. I want to use an OS based map, so I need to align an image. I have tried this on phone and tablet. Any ideas? Cheers.

Re: KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

Chris,
MapRunF drafts an email in the default email client on the device. Are you seeing the draft email with an attachment? If so, MapRunF has done it's part, if not we need to check what MapRunF is doing, Peter

Re: KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

chris-hopkinson@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Peter
Thanks for responding
What I get is this email as the snip above and below, the file below when downloaded is a "File" not a "KMZ" extension.

I had this problem a few weeks ago when I uses my tablet and phone, and Pat sent me a link to the Beta version of the KMZ generator that you are developing, it worked instantly. I tried it again, and it just spins out, I assume you have moved it forward now to a next level, hence not working now.
Cheers

Chris

Re: KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

Chris,

Two things
1. If you don't email yourself the KMZ, it is working OK in MapRunF? (ie checking that the file is being produced ok).
2. If you receive an attachment with the email, maybe something is stripping off the extension. Can you save the file and rename it to include .kmz ?

What phone and email client are you using?

Re: KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

chris-hopkinson@hotmail.co.uk
Hi Peter.
I have answered in blue below.

I have just tried again on my phone with a local location, no file attachment, just a reference to it in the email. If I generate a KMZ on the tablet and save to my Google drive, I can attach and send to myself on an email, then just change to a KMZ manually. A bit of a faf, but it sorts it.
In essence.
  • On the laptop, I save the Ordinance Survey as a jpg, and send it to the tablet by email.
  • Save the JPG and use it to generate the KMZ with Google Earth, and save to the storage.
  • I then email the KMZ to myself manually and change to a .KMZ.
  • On the laptop I then produce the Checksites map through the website.
Phew, it's a way round it!

I need to link my GDrive into the laptop, may shorten things a bit, I try to avoid too many cloud drives.

Chris

Re: KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

Chris,

I’ve just tried this on my Android (Extensive test case of one!) - And the attachment keeps it’s extension of .kmz. So I think MapRunF is sending the right thing to the email client.

So in summary you’ve identified an issue where in some scenarios (yet to be identified), the email loses the file extension.
I use this emailing software library https://github.com/sidlatau/flutter_email_sender/issues and can’t see any other reports of this issue. Maybe it's to do with the old version of Android … v4 is 7 years old.

In terms of the steps - This is really just a toy tool meant to let people take a quick photo of a map, and do a rough geo-reference.
I’m surprised that it would work well enough for Ordinance Survey maps.  I expect georeferencing maps like that would be done with desktop tools on a PC/Mac. Maybe you know someone with OCAD or a GIS package.

Anyway, the big-brother of the MapRunF KMZ creator, in a web-browser, should be back available soon, but it still is very basic… just a two-point geo-ref, not a proper affine best fit.

Regards

Peter

On 13 Jul 2020, at 2:30 am, [hidden email] [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/KMZ-generator-on-Android-phone-and-tablet-Checksite-tp415p431.html
To start a new topic under MapRun, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MapRun, click here.
NAML

Re: KMZ generator on Android phone and tablet Checksite

chris-hopkinson@hotmail.co.uk
Hi Peter.

Yes they are older versions of Android!

The OS jpg does align well, I downloaded a licensed version and set up a course using it. The KMZ generator aligns very well over Google Earth.

Previously I was able to send ok, but phones etc get updated in the background, and so some bugs "drift in"!
I have set up my cloud storage now, so I will "perfect" the process for efficiency, but changing the file to a .KMZ makes a difference. My colleague and myself usually send KMZ's of routes from the OS mapping app to each other when we are designing routes via messenger, and that was fine.
When I know it works efficiently, I will drop you an email with the process, it may be useful for anyone else that has the older operating system ahead of the new KMZ generator.

Cheers, thanks for the assistance.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/KMZ-generator-on-Android-phone-and-tablet-Checksite-tp415p433.html