MapRun - Proposed New Features

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

Lawrie Brown
Hi Peter, thanks for that. I've noted the new link and had a little play.

I guess one question is why have you set the text as non-selectable/copiable? As that is sometimes
useful to be able scrape & use these results.

Thanks

Cheers
Lawrie

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

d-dixon
One niggle with the new results system: I tried and failed to find our event from last night (HH Jersey Farm 2022 PXAS ScoreV45 PZ).  The one unusual thing with this one was that there was a tweak needed to a control post-event so I deleted the event and re-created it, and refreshed the results.  This event is now only visible if I include the "showDeletedEvents=true" filter:

https://results.maprun.net/#/events_list?eventNameContains=Jersey&daysHistory=90&showDeletedEvents=true

Another minor anomaly is that in the search results view, the event shows 36 results; this must include HITMO revisions as only 29 show on the event details (the 7 HITMO revisions have been accepted).

Thanks!

David

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

David,

Thanks for the report. I'll add those issues to my list.

The issue of matching results to a specific "version" of the event, maybe needs a bit more thought... Or I could just change the default to showDeletedEvents= True. The intent was, if an event name was re-used,  the results wouldn't include all the old results from the previous use(s).

Good point on counting HITMO.

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

d-dixon
Thanks Peter.

My next request:  In both the old and new results systems, in an event result page, clicking (new system: double-clicking) on a name pulls back all the events that user has participated in - great!  However, you can't then click on any of these event names to get the full results for that event.  Enabling that would really help to navigate between results of interest.

David

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

David

Thanks - we modelled the new system on the old one, but in the new system we should be able to allow endless cycling through - event -> runner history -> event -> potentially a different runner history -> event  etc. (including back-tracking)

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

Lawrie Brown
Hi Peter

I'm having a bit of a play with the new results system. A couple of observations.

I just tried following a link for next week's course here in Canberra, which has no results yet (which I do usually do just to check I have link correct), and the system crashed. With long error message, but start is:

Exception: Error reported by server: Error getting results for event - (Exception: Event found - but no resutls), c@https://results.maprun.net/main.dart.js:4072:3
RY/$async$p7<@https://results.maprun.net/main.dart.js:74119:38
a_/s@https://results.maprun.net/main.dart.js:5263:64
$2@https://results.maprun.net/main.dart.js:34950:14

URL used was: https://results.maprun.net/#/event_results?eventName=Cook%20OACT%20Sept%202022%20SA%20PXAS%20ScoreV60%20PZ2007092022

I think it should respond with something sensible like, no results yet!

I am also about to start having a play with the JSON results API in a web script that can reformat these into the items needed for text entry of results to Eventor (using the template Excel spreadsheet they provide). The aim in doing this is to make it easier for the results handler for our street courses here, where we have one MapRun course, but need to split the results into *lots* of classes (for our various timed scatter run & scored scatter walk options by M/F/Team), as well as adding in manual timed entrants, before uploading to Eventor.

Anyway, one thing I really need is the number of controls punched that were validly counted (ie excluding extras). This is not something that is explicitly reported as far as I can see. I can get total controls including extras by getting the length of the "Punches" array. But to exclude the extras it seems I need to scan that array, match any names with " (Extra)" and decrement the count accordingly. Is this the only way?

Thanks a lot

Cheers
Lawrie

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

Lawrie

Thanks for the report ... yes that needs a tidy up. The Exception is probably OK, but without the stack dump. It does say: Error getting results for event - (Exception: Event found - but no resutls).

I'll tidy it up and fix the spelling mistake!!

Count of scoring controls: I think what you propose is the best, at least in the medium term. I can do a v2 of the JSON export if there is demand for other results data, particularly anything that can't be derived from the export. There may be some other data items required as we move to MapRun v7, so I'll keep the issue open.

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

Lawrie Brown
Hi Peter.

Yes I agree the info is there, but even the term "Exception" could worry non-technical users. So it would definitely be better to simply catch that exception, and just have a plain response indicating that no results are available to display.

And comments noted on the JSON export. I'll work with what's there for now :-)

Cheers
Lawrie

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

Lawrie,

Thanks, good point - agreed.

Regards

Re: MapRun - Proposed New Features

MichaelRaz
Lawrie
"I am also about to start having a play with the JSON results API in a web script that can reformat these into the items needed for text entry of results to Eventor ..."

A few months ago I wrote up some excel code to import the JSON results as a test.  I got a bit carried away and the you can customize it to pull and modify it using formulas, etc before putting it into the main sheet.  This already included the various control lists and counts with and without extras.  If you want to try it out it is in the MapRunJSON.zip file at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sMb8t4_nTuQoTo6TUNPt8g2J6dgGKY33?usp=sharing

The Zip includes a couple of JPG explainers.  I have not done a huge amount of testing nor looked at it in the last few months.  Note that it will not work with Excel for MAC (4 of the 5 internal libraries I used are not available in the MAC version.  I have worked around 3 of them but not tackled the hardest yet)

As this is slightly off topic, if you have any questions DM or maybe a new thread.

Michael
12