MapRunG Failure During a Run

paddison
I have been emailed the following question:

MapRunG has not been stable on the Forerunner 235 causing the watch to randomly reboot during the course. In the event that this happens the competitor must wait for their watch to reboot but can’t then restart the course on MapRunG because they can’t go through start. If this was to happen would the competitor be able to continue with the event with their watch recording the run as just a run pressing the lap button at each control? They would have some of the event in MapRun and some in Garmin Connect.

I have used MapRunG on a Forerunner 235 and it has been excellent. However, what is the best advice to offer if such a failure occurs?

Clearly it is vital to use the latest versions of MapRunF and G but could memory capacity be an issue here? Is it sensible to suggest occasional deletions of activities on the watch or clear data from the phone?

Thanks

Paul

Re: MapRunG Failure During a Run

Paul,

We don't have other reports of MapRunG causing the watch to reboot...  aside from the point mentioned in the documentation about the memory limit on older devices like FR235. This limits the max number of controls on the course to 40 controls (See Section 4 of the document).

If MapRunG crashes (or is killed), when the watch restarts it will normally resumes the last "Activity" so that you will still have full track ... but obviously without MapRunG running, you won't get beeps at controls. (This is a standard function of Garmin watches, not specifically MapRunG).

Incidentally, I looked at the mix of watches being used with MapRunG - of the 33 different models used to date, the FR235 is the most common with 20% of all runs.

If you have further details, you could send an email to the support email address (on the www.maprunners.com.au website).

Re: MapRunG Failure During a Run

paddison
Thanks Peter