MapRunG not recording results, though it records track and splits

MapRunG not recording results, though it records track and splits

DWildfogel
I have used MapRunG successfully on my Garmin F235 with MapRunF. But since I switched to MapRun6, I've had this problem. The watch beeps appropriately at each control; it behaves correctly at the Finish. Afterwards, in Garmin Connect, I see my track and my splits. But it MapRun6, when I tap Show Results, there are no results.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dennis

Re: MapRunG not recording results, though it records track and splits

Dennis,

In MapRun6, logout of Garmin (in Options and Settings) and then log back in.
Make sure you are logging in to the Garmin account connected with the watch you are using.

Also you could try to "Show Results" in MapRunF (if you still have it installed).

Re: MapRunG not recording results, though it records track and splits

DWildfogel
Peter thanks for your reply - and more importantly for creating and maintaining these terrific apps!

I'd tried logging out and then logging back in via Options and Settings, to no avail. I checked to see if the results appeared in MapRunF; they didn't.

Upon further investigation, I think there are actually several problems. I think I've figured out a couple; perhaps you'll have a suggestion regarding another:

1. When I finish the course, I'm in an area with no cell tower connections, and also not near my phone (which is in my car). I then do a cool down jog, which I record on my Garmin. So, when I finally get to a place where the phone and watch are together, the last track in Garmin Connect is the one from my cool down; as a consequence, when I go into MapRun6 and tap Results and then Get track from Garmin, I get a message to the effect that the track is not compatible with the course. I did eventually figure out that I can select the previous tracks until I find the one that is from the run for which I'm trying to display the results.

2. Alas, there are further problems. I had run one course, I'll just call it Brown for short, and not gotten the results due to the problem above (hadn't yet figured out the proper way to resolve that one). Several days later, I selected a different course in MapRun6, call it Red, sent that to my watch, and got a Success! message. But when I went out to the event site, got into MapRunG on my watch and hit the select button on my watch, I got the following error message:

Problem
Check in MapRunF that you have selected and sent an event to this Watch ID nnnnnnnnn  start/stop to continue

Well, I HAD selected the Red course (in MapRun6, not in MapRunF) and gotten that success message, so I was puzzled. So, as suggested in the error message, I his start/stop and then was given the opportunity to select a stored course, which was the previously mentioned Brown course. I selected that, ran that course, got all the beeps and finally the Finish message, but no results, even after going back to the previous track (since the last one, which I'd figured out by now, was my cool down jog). I believe I figured out the problem here, too: even though the watch let me chose the stored Brown course, MapRun6 still had Red as the Selected Course, so determined that there was a mismatch between track and course. Once I realized that that was an issue, I selected the Brown course in MapRun6, hit Results, navigated back to the track for that Brown course, and the results appeared!

3. So, the only issue left is: why did I get that "Problem" message when I hit start in MapRunG? That problem still occurs, every time, even with phone and watch in the same place and with strong internet connections available. Hope you can suggest a resolution!

Thanks again,
Dennis

Re: MapRunG not recording results, though it records track and splits

David

So it looks like you've unscrambled the step of getting the track back from the watch to MapRunF/6 to give you a result (including selecting previous tracks).

The step of sending the Event to the watch works like this:
- Sending an event to the watch in MapRun, creates a folder on the server for whatever watch ID you set in MapRunF/6 and saves the selected event there. If the phone is online, this will say it has succeeded. (There is no interaction with the Watch at this point).

- When you open MapRunG on your watch, it tries to talk to the server and find a folder with its ID (ie the number it has displayed on the watch) and tries to download the event file.
- The two most common issues are:
   - Different watch ID's between MapRunF/6 on your phone and MapRunG on your watch ie MapRunG is looking for the wrong folder on the server.
   - Even more common is that the Watch is not finding a path the Internet. In this regard, it's best to run Garmin Connect on your phone first. In Garmin Connect, make sure your watch is connected to your phone and that your phone is online. A simple test to ensure both of these requirements is: trigger a "Sync" of your watch, which will confirm the watch is talking to your phone and your phone is talking to Garmin Connect. Once this is happening, restart MapRunG on your watch and it should find the event.

- Some watches have wifi capability and so can connect directly to the Internet, but some people report that this complicates matters and so it is better to NOT be connected via wifi.

Regards

Re: MapRunG not recording results, though it records track and splits

DWildfogel
I just re-installed MapRunG on my watch via the Connnect IQ Store, and that appears to have cleared up the problem: I can select different courses in MapRun6, and then when I open MapRunG, it no longer gives me that "Problem" error message and indeed displays the info for the course I just selected. I will try it soon out at the event site to make sure things go ok there.

Thanks,
Dennis

Re: MapRunG not recording results, though it records track and splits

Dennis, Thanks for the update, Peter