MaprunG crash??

NigelH
I've used MaprunG many times on my Garmin 630 with no problem, but last week, in the middle of a run, the watch failed to "beep" at a control. I knew I was in the right place, so after hunting around a bit in case of poor GPS coverage (or map errors), I glanced at the screen of my watch. Rather than the usual mid-run display it was (I think) the one you get when you first push "start", giving you the choice of IQ apps, Run, Bike etc. Thinking my rain jacket had somehow swiped the screen while running, I selected MaprunG thinking I'd be able to continue my run, but instead got its startup screen, and didn't get a "continue/exit" choice. After I got home, I discovered that all trace of that failed run had been erased, and my MaprunG watch Id had changed, so I can only assume that MaprunG (or the watch itself) had crashed and restarted. Has anyone else seen this behaviour, please?

As a secondary point, I find that it's very hard to note down the Id before the startup screen disappears, and the font is rather small to read. Is there (or could there be) any way to display it for longer or in a larger font size, please?

Re: MaprunG crash??

Nigel,

Sorry to hear you had a problem. We are certainly interested to hear if anyone else has experienced similar issues. MapRunG is typically being used 1600+ times a month and has been remarkably trouble-free.

Are you able to extract the Logs please? These might help us understand if MapRunG had an issue or your watch did. See instructions below.

Just to give you a quick overview: MapRunG gets the watch to start a standard track recording "Activity" (as if you had pressed start for a Run activity). If MapRunG were to crash, the watch continues recording an Activity... and this activity can be exported to Garmin Connect and then used with MapRun GPS Track Upload to create a result. This is the most robust approach we can take.

It is therefore surprising that you can't find an Activity recorded... unless the watch itself had some problem.

MapRunG doesn't have a "Resume" feature like MapRun6 on a phone does ... that is because it can't remember the full context and history of the event up to the point of a restart like we can on a phone.

Regarding a better way to see the MapRun Watch Id - This is viewable in Garmin Connect on your phone. See the instructions for MapRunG Section 9.22. The instructions are at: https://maprunners.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/6/6/6866500/maprung_user_info_v14.pdf

Peter

Debug logs
Debug logs are accessed by connecting your watch to the computer. It should appear as a mass storage device just like a USB drive.

a) As mentioned above in case of a device crash the device will create one of these files for a device crash. This file keeps growing, so sometime it may have info
about some issue you had long in the past, perhaps with a different app. You can delete the file to start fresh if you want.
/Garmin/Apps/CIQ_LOG.txt (older CIQ)
/Garmin/Apps/CIQ_LOG.yml (newer CIQ)

Re: MaprunG crash??

NigelH
Thanks Peter; as you say, MaprunG has proved extremely reliable. I looked in the folder you specified for the log files, and it is empty, which I guess suggests that it was the watch itself that crashed - something I've certainly seen on rare occasions with earlier models. I'm not sure how that caused the Id to change, but I'll know to check this if it happens again.

Thanks for the tip about finding the Id - that's a lot easier than trying to read it as the app starts up. I'd never have thought of finding it there as it's buried so deeply: More->Garmin devices->Forerunner 630->Activities and App Management->Activities and Apps->MapRunG->Settings!