Mass Start Name

ddeboor
Afternoon

I am very confused by setting a mass start name. Can someone check my logic

I understand I should use the format: PZMMHHDDMMYYYY

So if I had an event as follows

Event Name: HTV
Event Type: Score no time limit
Start: 30 August 2023
Start time: 09:00

So what would I name the file as?

Re: Mass Start Name

Hi,

I think the first step is to confirm that you really want to use Mass Start. It is a rarely-used feature that has some implications such as:
- It doesn't work on MapRunG (Garmin) or MapRunA (Apple Watch)
- The timer starts automatically at the scheduled time - even if the user has no GPS fix, and there is no easy way to defer the start on the day for 5 or 10 mins etc.

Often, even if you want everyone to start at the same time, Clubs use a normal punching start.

Having said all that to try to talk you out of it:
- You can now name the event anything you like, and set the settings appropriately when publishing the event (That is assuming the event is published by a MapRun Admin. You still need codes in the name of a CheckSites event).
- If you want to use codes in the filename an event with this name:

HTV MX05 PZ0930082023 ScoreQ00

Has the MX code indicating Mass Start with 5 mins perusal time.
The start is at 09:00 on 30  August 2023 - but remember this is a UTC time so, adjust it to your timezone
Its a Score event using ScoreQ scoring, but 00 means there is no time-limit. (There are other scoring schemes)

The documentation is here:
https://maprunners.weebly.com/event-types.html

In summary, I'd recommend:
- only use Mass Start if you have a compelling need to, and understand the implications, and
- use settings rather than codes in the filename (assuming its a published event).

Re: Mass Start Name

ddeboor
Thanks Peter that was very helpful :) Would it be possible to make a tool that we can put in the parameters of the event and the naming file is generated?

I agree on the mass start point and I will try to avoid this if possible. As we have mass start event planned it could just remove some potential mis punches etc at the start point. However, I will test it and we just should inform everyone to ensure that S1 is punched before they set off.

Thanks so much

Re: Mass Start Name

MichaelRaz
ddeboor, just my opinion but I would suggest you push everyone to the 7.x version of MapRun where you no longer need to include the codes in the event/course name (as noted by Peter).  Lots of new capabilities in 7, including the "Confirm Finish" functions that reduces the likelihood of someone's course being cut short by running past the Finish (the likelyhood of this should always be reduced by good course planning but it will still happen).  There is an event setup option to set the 'Minimum Maprun Version required' but I admit I have never used it.

If adding the parameters to an event name is still required, it does take some practice but the documentation is good and I have always found the process useful to make sure I have set up all the options properly (you still need to figure out what scoring system, PIN parameters, UTC time for a mass start etc anyway).  IMO (for what it is worth) I don't see a tool really helping much and is kinda a step backwards as the goal is moving away from the requirement to include these parameters in the name.

Michael

Re: Mass Start Name

ddeboor
Hi Michael

Thanks for that. I assume that only works if I am setting up via administrator access and not via checksites? At this stage I am still testing the system and learning the system (so I can eventually apply for admin access).

I can see I can update all those manually in the app but assume I can't do that on a global scale until I have admin access?

Regards,

Damon

Re: Mass Start Name

MichaelRaz
Correct.  That and every needs to be using 7.x.  It won’t take long to figure out the codes!  Likely more tricky is setting up the courses I. A way that works best with GPS punching. Enjoy!