New KMZ Publishing Options

Pat Macleod
Alongside all the work that Peter has been doing to improve and extend maprun functionality, a couple of new external publishing tools have emerged over the last few weeks.

If you use Ollie O'Brien's Open Orienteering Maps - oomap.co.uk -   you'll spot that there is now a KML export option, shown to work satisfactorily with maprun, and it now also has a new 40k scale map option, making it more useful to bike orienteers.

Secondly, until recently it's been just about impossible, as far as I could tell, to export a JPG/World File pair from Open Orienteering Mapper, and use those to generate a KMZ via Peter's KMZ generator utility. With version 0.9.2 of Open Orienteering Mapper the scale issue that previously caused a problem with the utility has been resolved, so users of OOMapper now have a route to generate a KMZ directly from OOMapper. All you have to do is make sure you change the Coordinate Reference System of your OOMapper map to EPSG 3857 (WGS84 Pseudo Mercator) before doing the JPG export!

Re: New KMZ Publishing Options

Robyn Rennie
However it would be really really useful if OOMapper also would export to a KMZ file. It seems to have all the required information and we have had limited success with the JPG/JPW export and convert. Exporting a KMZ from OCAD works every time but not everyone has OCAD 10+

Re: New KMZ Publishing Options

Robyn,

If I understand you correctly, the steps that Pat outlines achieve the outcome, being a KMZ file from a map in OpenOrienteeringMapper, but you are suggesting that these steps could be included in the functions of OpenOrienteeringMapper itself.... as they are in OCAD.

That would be an enhancement request for OpenOrienteeringMapper (unless I am missing the point).

Re: New KMZ Publishing Options

pfoulkes
Ollie O'Brien has added a KMZ export button to his OOM tool now to go with the KML export he added a few weeks ago.

Re: New KMZ Publishing Options

Thanks to Ollie for this - This is now the recommended way to get an KMZ file from OOMap (rather than the previous 2-step process using o-utils).