New PurplePen and Import App

MichaelRaz
This post was updated on .

If you use PurplePen:
With the latest Purple Pen 3.5.0 Course setting application (PP) PPEN , along with bug fixes and better display, there is a new function, allowing you to Move, Scale and Rotate all the controls.

This seemed like a good time to (partially) sort out the ability to import a set of controls from a KML, IOFXML or GPX file into PPEN to avoid manually re-entering a bunch of controls - hence my new app (link below).  This is the beta so there are some limitations!

Basically this will pull out the controls from the control file selected and using either Map X,Y coordinates already available in the file (such as most IOFXML course files or, as in the case of a KML or GPX, convert the LonLat locations to a global X,Y (doing all the standard geo-trig stuff), set the first control to map coord 0,0 and adjust the rest (along with scaling).  This data is then be put into a 'blank' PPEN file and uploaded that will open in the PPEN application with the controls laid out on the blank map screen somewhat reasonably scaled for a normal orienteering map.  Then you add the Event Map File to PPEN (kinda a reverse order of things) such as an image, OCAD etc and use the PPEN Move/Scale/Rotate function to adjust the control locations.  Generally you will need to do all 3 so two known control locations are needed.  In my testing I just select the Move/Scale/Rotate option.  Obviously there will not be any control descriptions so you still have a lot of work to do!

There is also an option to upload a current PPEN file as a template (that will likely contain controls already, an image map or reference to an OCA/OOM map, and any special items added to the map such as images, text etc).  With this, the controls and courses in the template PPEN file are stripped out, as are special items linked only to a specific course. Then the new controls are added as above and you carry on as before. Note that the original PPEN file IS NOT overwritten so no worry there - a new one is produced to download.

Slightly more detailed explanation is found on the main page of the app.

I’ve tested KML, IOFXML and GPX files from many sources and so far no issues, although I am focussed on ones that are provided from some orienteering application – I cannot handle really weird stuff unless I run into it.

Feedback welcome. I still need to fix and improve a few things.  Next (harder) step is to allow importing controls and previous courses (such as in an IOFXML Course file.

App at:
maprun Utilities

Includes:
Convert GPX Waypoints to KML
Clean Up/Renumber KML Files
IOFXML V3 to KML Files
QR Codes (generator)
KML to PPEN

Re: New PurplePen and Import App

MichaelRaz
The app has been updated to include the importing of any courses included in the controls file (IOFXML only so a standard V3 or V2.0.3 course file).  Also, if using a PPEN template file, more granularity nas been added to select the Special-Objects that you want to retain in the template (these are PPEn items such as text, map markups, etc).