Potential Feature Request - New Field: Bib

Potential Feature Request - New Field: Bib

MichaelRaz
I'm hoping to get some user feedback on how useful this might be or additional use cases that might impact how to implement it before "formally" putting it in as a feature request. First some short background:

I support an adventure race that uses a combined punch card and MapRun. I have an excel application that, in simple terms, when teams come in and upload MapRun Results, it sucks these results in, cross references the MapRun Name found with the one that the team registered with, and adds the results to the spreadsheet.  A quick comparison to these results and the punch cards at the results desk either confirms the results or requires a quick modification within OUR results (such as adding a punch that MapRun missed but is on the card). Our system then updates the score based on this modification and it is "locked".  The one problem we have every year is people register the wrong MapRun name (misspelled, extra spaces, etc). The cross referencing algorithm (fancy name) tries to get around these but then there are the people who completely switch phones or decide to upload the other team member's results.  All this gets sorted out but it does slow things down when a mass of finishers arrive.  SO ...

I'm wondering if it would work better to add a field in either the MapRun user profile or directly whent opening the event on the app to use a unique identifier - a Bib Number? At check-in teams show their MapRun app to validate the user name but, as mentioned, this often messes up. The registration desk would have a much easier time just making sure this additional field matches the team's Bib. I want to stress that this is in addition to the User Name, and just another field like phone number.

In a perfect setup this Bib number should be linked to the event but I'm sure this is much more complicated (when is it added by the user, what if the event is locked etc). I could see, in our use case, how the check-in could be used to make sure the event is loaded and the Bib is correct at the same time (although this conflicts a bit in that we also have a small test course that we encourage teams to use after check-in to make sure the phone is working properly).

Adding this into the User Profile as an additional field is not as 'neat' as being tied to the specific event but likely much easier to implement with changes to the profile section and include it in results exports. It does mean it, if not removed, will show up in other results but this is not really serious IMO.

So curious if anyone else seems a benefit to this additional field and has any suggestions on how it could be used best.

Re: Potential Feature Request - New Field: Bib

adenney
I would love to see this plus being seen on the live tracking.