ScoreB options

Urban
My club uses "Odds and Evens" Score quite often for low key events - it makes best use of A4 size maps at 1:5,000 for us. I had a problem when trialling ScoreB with MapRun in as much as I found myself sometimes collecting 2 x Odds and then passing close enough to register 2 x Evens on the way to my next intended Odd target - this obviously then only allowed me to score 2 x Odds in total! Would there be any chance of implementing an option for the number of controls that have to be collected in one block before moving on to the next? Probably 3 per block as a minimum, but 5 actually seems like a better number to have to collect initially before moving on to block two.

THANKS.
Urban and Sprint Orienteer, Runner and occasional Zwifter.
#UrbanOrienteering
#ThinkFastRunHard

Re: ScoreB options

Urban,

I understand the issue - I've seen it happen myself.

If I was to make a change, I think I would change it so that you had to visit three of the opposite "gender" controls before MapRun switched you to that set, rather than just having to visit two.

Then for you to get an inadvertent swap-over, you would need to accidentally get three unintended punches in sequence.

Your thoughts?

Re: ScoreB options

sheldec
Hi Peter,

Any thoughts on expanding ScoreB options to include more than two boxes? ...maybe based on leading or trailing digit of the controls?

I ask because one of our club events uses up to 5 boxes plus mandatory first / last controls [different than Start and Finish] with all controls of equal value.

Current event announcement here:  https://www.qocweb.org/events/2021/2/6/hoyles-mill

Thanks for considering the request.

All my best,
Craig

Re: ScoreB options

In a short answer: No.

ScoreB is a rarely used score type. I've just added a lot more flexibility with Scoring schemes on MapRun6 (although not changing ScoreB).

No more Score scheme variants planned.

Re: ScoreB options

sheldec
No Worries, Thanks for considering the request.
best,
Craig

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 3:50 PM Peter Effeney [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

In a short answer: No.

ScoreB is a rarely used score type. I've just added a lot more flexibility with Scoring schemes on MapRun6 (although not changing ScoreB).

No more Score scheme variants planned.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/ScoreB-options-tp982p990.html
To unsubscribe from ScoreB options, click here.
NAML

Re: ScoreB options

pfoulkes
This looks a tricky one.  If I'm interpreting this correctly ...
The more controls of the second type you need to visit to make the switch from Odd to Even, the more likely it is you'll accidentally visit one of the type of controls you started with.

E.g. Odd Odd Odd Odd Odd Even [intentional] Even Odd [accidental] Even Even Even

I think if you had to visit 3 to switch, the sequence above would give you 6 Odds and 3 Evens
If you had to visit either 1 or 2 to switch it would give you 5 Odds and 5 Evens (which is what you'd intended in this example)

Presumably if you had to visit 3 to switch but only visited 2 of the new type at the end, you'd still get the credit for those?
E.g.  Odd Odd Odd Odd Odd Even Even
would be 5 Odd and 2 Even (even though you hadn't visited enough to switch)?

Re: ScoreB options

Yes I agree that if the test were to be made more onerous so that you don't accidentally flip the switch, it is also more onerous to deliberately flip!

Another issue is that there is no indicator that shows which set you are getting points for at any moment.

Unless you are following closely, you may have flipped without knowing or not flipped when you thought you had flipped.

A flipping nightmare!

Re: ScoreB options

Urban
back again! .... I think the option of 3 consecutive controls is probably about optimum for not messing up (yourself) - an added thing to think about during the event might be the realisation that if you did
odd, odd, odd, even, even, even,
you're then stuck with even and cannot go back to odd! I like 3 - seems like a good compromise number!
Urban and Sprint Orienteer, Runner and occasional Zwifter.
#UrbanOrienteering
#ThinkFastRunHard

Re: ScoreB options

Urban
Hi Peter - any movement / progress with this? - would quite like to get a couple of test events under the belt prior to UK Lockdown opening up again.... shortly....hopefully!
THANKS
Urban and Sprint Orienteer, Runner and occasional Zwifter.
#UrbanOrienteering
#ThinkFastRunHard

Re: ScoreB options

An alternate mode for ScoreB didn't make it into the MapRun6 release. ScoreB still works as per the existing arrangement of visiting 2 controls of the opposite set to flip.

Although needing to visit 3 controls of the opposite set has some attraction, I'm still not convinced that it will be better.

I suspect that if you have a course where runners are accidentally visiting two controls in sequence of he second set whilst, running the first set,  then in changing to needing 3 controls to flip, they will similarly likely accidentally visit one of the first set while trying to visit 3 in sequence of the second. .. so the flip won't occur.

Re: ScoreB options

Urban
I think if that's the case then it's probably easier to plan and run a ScoreV but manually check event runs for the required sequence, thanks Peter.
Urban and Sprint Orienteer, Runner and occasional Zwifter.
#UrbanOrienteering
#ThinkFastRunHard

Re: ScoreB options

I think there are some options:
- Run with ScoreB and then in the Console adjust/correct any scores where there was an accidental flip/not-flip
- Run with ScoreQ (or V is you want ScoreV scoring), and tell people the rules and then manually check/adjust (again in the Console).
- Also you can export the event results file (.csv) and re-score it using whatever logic you like... and then publish a new result table on the Club Website.

Peter