Uploading route to Strava

SeanCronin
Hi,

new to this forum, so firstly I'd just like to say MapRun is great and has been pretty much the only orienteering we've been able to do the UK for big chunks of 2020, so it's helping to keep the sport going. Thank you.

I have a technical question about uploading my route to Strava. I've not been successful at this so would appreciate any help. On my phone (IPhone 5S) when I click on "upload to Strava" I am taking to the strava.com authorisation page with the heading "Authorize MapRunF to upload to Strava". But when I click on the "authorize" button it fails with the error message "Safari cannot open this page because the address is invalid". Is there anything I can do to get around this restriction.

Alternatively can I export a GPX file of my route (which can be uploaded into Strava I think) either from the app on my phone or from the website somehow? I tried the "email Track" option but for some reason that didn't email me a file.

Thanks :-)

Re: Uploading route to Strava

Sean,

Strava Interface: There are some reports that deleting and reinstalling the Strava App from your iPhone can help in such cases.

Exporting tracks: Any of the email functions within mapRunF just create a draft email in your default email client. It is likely that on iOS you'd need to be using Apple Mail (rather than other email systems). You should see the draft email created by MapRunF, are able to edit it, confirm who you are sending it to, etc, and then tap Send.

Regards Peter

Re: Uploading route to Strava

Trishm
I have the same problem (iPhone XS) - any idea how to fix it?   I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling Strava and it didn’t help.

Re: Uploading route to Strava

Apart from all the "usual" things:
- sign out of Strava and back in
- restart Apps
- restart phone
- uninstall/re-install Strava

The work arounds (not ideal):
- Run the Strava App as well to record a track for Strava
- Export your track from MapRun as a GPX file and upload it to Strava.

Re: Uploading route to Strava

Trishm
Thanks Peter - I tried all of those things but still no good.

I finally emailed my self the track and imported it to Strava that way.

 Usually I would just use my watch for Strava (my expensive iPhone seems to add lots of extra distance on my runs which is great) , but in the excitement of being out  I forgot to start it until half way round 😂

Anyway.  Loving the app - it’s really come into its own in these Covid times.   Even dragged the kids out today and the fact they could use a phone (it’s just like Pokemon Go....honest) made it more palatable.

Re: Uploading route to Strava

I'm working on an updated version of MapRunF now. I'll be checking for any updates to the Strava software library I use. So hopefully that will make it less troublesome in the future.

Re: Uploading route to Strava

Simon Oxley
Hmm I had the same problem and eventually solved it...but I'm afraid I don't remember the exact steps that were successful.

My situation was that I had previously integrated the original MapRun app with Strava and that was working. When I migrated to MapRunF the integration stopped working and I had the same problem you describe Sean. I felt that it was something to do with Strava being confused about multiple authorisations for MapRun.

I know that I ended up uninstalling Strava from my phone and reinstalling. But I think I also went to the Strava web site and under Settings/My Apps I revoked the authorization for MapRun so that Strava would go through the process again from the start.

Sorry I don't remember exactly but perhaps try this.

Re: Uploading route to Strava

pfoulkes
Hi
I was unable to upload a track created on MapRun yesterday evening to Strava.
I used MapRunF (5.0.9) to record the run.  I also have MapRun6 (6.3.8) installed - I installed MapRun6 a while back for testing but haven't used it in an event - only for test runs.
Strava uploads used to happen automatically for me after a MapRun run.
On this occasion it didn't.
I tried "Strava Upload" from the results page in MapRunF.  That took me to an authorisation page for Strava.  When I click Authorize, that asks "Open in "MapRun6"?"  with options to Cancel or Open.  If I click Open it takes me to MapRun6 with a "MapRun started from a Link" page.  Neither OK nor cancel on that page does anything useful for me.  The run I'm trying to get into Strava was recorded in MapRunF not MapRun6.

I did a short trial run this morning on MapRun6 - I was able to load that into Strava.  However, from MapRunF I'm still not able to load yesterday evening's track into Strava.  The authorisation page still takes me to MapRun6 and does not appear to allow me to upload the track from MapRunF.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Strava - that didn't make a difference.
I am not able to email the GPX for reasons I think I understand (I posted that issue on a separate MapRun email thread - http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Problems-emailing-from-MapRunF-on-an-iPhone-tt79.html#a1184).

Any suggestions for how to get my track from yesterday into Strava?  E.g. If I got rid of MapRun6 (presumably losing access to any runs done on MapRun6?) would that enable me to connect MapRunF to Strava?   Or would the Strava authorisation page still try to connect to MapRun6?

Thanks
Peter