Using "Display controls on the map" parameter ... backward compatability

Using "Display controls on the map" parameter ... backward compatability

pfoulkes
Hi
We will shortly be running an event using MapRun for control positions but giving participants paper maps.   We are going to ask everyone to move from MapRunF to MapRun6.
I want to use the "Display controls on the map" parameter in MapRun6 to prevent participants from taking a sneaky peek at the route before starting their run.
I did a quick trial and it seems to do the job nicely in MapRun6.
Unfortunately, it's possible to load the event in MapRunF.  When viewed in MapRunF, all the controls are visible from the outset.
Is it possible either:
1. to prevent MapRunF users from seeing the controls if the event is created using that parameter in MapRun6
2. to prevent MapRunF users from loading the event at all

I tried setting the minimum MapRun version to 6.0.0 but that did not prevent me from loading the event in MapRunF.  I was also able to use MapRunF (v5.0.9) to capture a trial run for the event - with the results appearing as normal.   Perhaps I am using the minimum MapRun version incorrectly?

Any suggestions on how I prevent users from previewing the control positions in MapRunF?
Thanks

Re: Using "Display controls on the map" parameter ... backward compatability

Peter,

Sorry, we don't currently have any way to stop MapRunF being used.

Hopefully, people will to upgrade to MapRun6, for new features that organisers might want to use (that MapRunF doesn't have).

Once everyone is using MapRun6, the minimum version test will work ... but this feature is not built into MapRunF. We've aimed for keeping older versions workable, but maybe at some point in the future, we could take the step of changing the format of event files such that versions before then would not be able to make sense of them... but this would somewhat drastic/disruptive... and we haven't had a lot of calls to date for disabling older versions. Comments welcome...

To achieve confidentiality of a course, the most common approach is to use a PIN that expires around the time of the event. (Assuming there is a particular start time).

Re: Using "Display controls on the map" parameter ... backward compatability

MichaelRaz
Peter F,  Another option (with one negative side effect) is that you could use a blank/white map with the KMZ so, even if someone took a peek, it would only really show the relative course layout (and given you want everyone to use a paper map anyway).  Downside is the same KMZ map is used when showing result tracks.  I think it was this forum where there was a discussion of basically drawing purple circles and lines over a white map to make it even harder to see the control layout.

Perhaps a future (far future) feature request - two KMZs, one for the app map and one for the track function after.  This would allow a course map using some of the training techniques (corridors, hidden features etc while showing the full map in the results.

Perhaps another incentive to get people to upgrade to V6 is to include a sneek peek option or two on the course that, I believe, only works with V6.

Michael