iPhone NFC function compatibility

Charlie R
Hi

Working on a Xmas event that will use NFC tags (credit card size) on mini-markers. I need to give guidance to runners about phone compatibility. Looking up NFC and iPhone initially it appears that anything from iPhone 6 on (including 1st generation SE) should work as they have NFC for ApplePay functionality.

However, on testing with iPhone SE I get an error "Device has no NFC Scanner". If I load the app on the SE for programming the NFC tags I get a similar error. It looks like the NFC functionality, which definitely exists for ApplePay on the SE,is not available to 3rd party Apps.

Has anyone else experience of NFC MapRun and earlier iPhones?

Charlie

PS. I have added QR codes to the tags as a fallback and these work very well

Re: iPhone NFC function compatibility

Charlie,

The following table is a quick summary (from: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/iphone-nfc/ )

Re: iPhone NFC function compatibility