iPhone sound

terribletim
Had an interesting discovery yesterday , the sound on my iPhone 12 using maprun6 is much louder that the sound in maprun7  , the quieter tone on maprun7 was far harder to hear on reaching a control with the phone in my cycling bag.

I like the idea of alerts going to my Apple Watch ( as they did to my Suunto) but I wonder if it doesn't work when I have workout being timed on the watch, may do a test without it, but any suggestions as to why the volume is less on Maprun7 would be really appreciated

Cheers

Tim

Re: iPhone sound

Tim,

It's hard to be definitive without the iPhone device in front of me.

But a couple of things to be aware of:
- If the punching sound you have selected is the default sound ("Beep 1 simple"), in an effort to be "belts & braces" we make this sound in two ways:
  - the phone plays a media file, and
  - a "notification" is generated (ie a pop-up alert) that also makes the sound.
(On some phones these two sounds can be separate by a very short gap... just enough to hear two beeps... but on most phones it's pretty-much one beep).

So in terms of volume settings, its the volume for media and the volume of notifications.

If you have selected a custom sound (eg Trumpet 1), which I like as it's noticeably different from other beeps and bings that your phone makes for other reasons. Anyway, in this case we only send the sound as part of a notification.

If you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, notifications can become more complicated and at this stage I'd recommend NOT sending MapRun notifications to your Apple Watch ... but you are free to experiment with the various settings to see how it goes for you.

A version of MapRun for Apple Watches will be released before too long and that is the recommended solution if you have an Apple Watch (in which case the Watch generates it's own Haptics and Sounds).

PS - One thing to experiment with is:
- In MapRun 6 or 7 in Options and Settings there is a button to "Check Notification Settings" (near the bottom of the scrolling list).
- You can use this button to make the selected sound.
- If while doing this you switch over to iPhone > Settings > Sounds & Haptics
    - try turning up the volume with the buttons on the side of your phone ie retry the "Check Notification Settings" Button after making the change,
    - THEN - switch the switch that says "Change with Buttons" and do the same again .. ie turn up the volume with the buttons on the side of your phone and retry the "Check Notification Settings" Button.

This should be adjusting the two independent volume seetings.

Re: iPhone sound

terribletim
Hi Peter

I cracked the no sound with some trial and error last night, the app was sending notifications to my watch and it doing so the phone was silent and nothing showed on the Apple Watch but did on the Suunto one on the other wrist.  So I turned this off and got sound out of my phone again , maprun 7 is still quieter but I could here all but one control today

Cheers

Tim