links to events

pfoulkes
In London there are several orienteering clubs who sometimes contribute events to a single series of events.  E.g. a winter street-O series or a summer park series.
Each club will create one or more event for the series.
Would it be possible for the clubs to retain control over their own files, but have a single folder where users could see the events for the series?
From a user's perspective, the series folder would contain just the events for that series - regardless of which club produced them.
E.g. would it be possible for a series folder to contain links to the original files kept elsewhere?

An alternative would be for multiple clubs to be given admin rights to a single folder, but that raises the risk of someone cluttering up the area or accidentally deleting someone else's event.

What's the best approach when a series of events is contributed to by multiple clubs?

Re: links to events

We have many cases where there are multiple Admins with access to a folder, and we haven't had issues to date. If there is a mistake, events can be restored without losing results.

So at present, to achieve a series across multiple clubs:
- we'd have multiple Admins able to publish events to the folder, or
- multiple clubs submitting their events to a coordinator for the series, or
- we'd have sub-folders for each Club/Admin under the folder for the series.

This may be a feature we could add in the future if there is demand for it.  If you think it is important to progress, could you flesh out how you would see permissions being handled. It seems like when creating an event, an Admin would say which folder the event is to be stored in (that they control) and also the folder that the event would appear in to the user (shared with other Admins). We would need to set up each Administrator with the list of folders they can publish to (as currently, except these folders may need to be invisible to the user) and also the folders that they can make events visible in (shared). Alternative suggested approaches are welcome.

Re: links to events

pfoulkes
Hi Peter

The goal would be to have a single folder that people could visit to find events in a series.   However, it would be preferable if users could still see those events if browsing through a club's folders.

I was anticipating that the file itself would be published as normal in the club's own folder.
Then in the 'series' folder, there would be a link to the original file.
Anyone accessing the link in the series folder would open the same file as if they had opened it in the club's folder.
The series folder wouldn't contain actual files, just links to a variety of files in club folders.
Clubs would retain the same access permissions on their own folders and would be able to add links to their events in the series folder.
A participant would be able to open the file either from the original club folder, or from the series folder.
This would allow easy access to the full series of events without disrupting the existing admin rights.

Of the 3 options you've outlined that currently exist:
multiple admins to a series folder would work, though the events would sit outside the club's folder structure so people browsing the club's folder structure wouldn't see those events.
single coordinator for the series would work.  Extra effort for one person.  Files would also sit outside the club's folder structure so people browsing the club's structure wouldn't see those events.
sub-folders under series folder with different privileges.  This would work, but would be more cumbersome than having all files in a single folder.  It would mean that participants would have to open all the folders to see if there was an event near them.  Files would also sit outside the club's folder structure so people browsing the club's structure wouldn't see those events.

London covers a wide area - not all participants will be willing to travel to the locations of all events in a series.  Seeing the event names (which include location) will allow them to decide quickly which events are reachable for them.

Yet another option would be to publish the events twice - once in the club folder and once in a series folder - so the event would be found either in the series folder or by browsing the club folders.
Would that mean that they would be 2 separate events though, so not all results would appear in the same place (??)  Also, you'd have more files cluttering up your system; more effort to publish them; etc.  So not an attractive option.