One course - Multiple ways to "run" it

MichaelRaz
I've been trying to come up with an easy way to do this without duplicating courses but can't find a way so thought I would ask if anyone has a thought - otherwise I'll submit a more detailed feature request.

Issue:  I have been setting up some winter, on trail navigation courses just to give people a fun, relatively easy map based trail "run" in between more formal events.  In most cases, these can be down on foot, snowshoes, fat bike or even skis.  Although not really a big deal as they are not intended to be competitive, it would be nice if there was some way to indicate or determine what means of "transport" was used.  I did one yesterday going back to back on foot and fat bike.  As an admin, I could go in to the results and edit my name in one (or both) to include "Fat Bike" but the regular user cannot do this.  I've tried to think of how to set this up so it would be possible to tell, either  by the track or some other difference, how it was run.  In some cases different routes could be marked either to a specific control or the finish (for each method) but this would make the map complex and not easily determined by anyone looking at results.

Obviously I could do multiple "events" for each which is how I would handle a formal event with different classes (same course) but was wondering if I'm missing some trick given the current capabilities?

Thanks

Re: One course - Multiple ways to "run" it

Michael,

You might notice in the bottom right of the main run screen in MapRunF some codes that represent the App's assessment of what the current activity is: still, on_foot, in_vehicle, on_bicycle, running.

This comes from the motion sensors in the device (not the GPS).
It's not infallible, but it also comes with a measure of certainty of the assessment. eg 60% certain that we are running.

This feed of activity type is not being otherwise used at this point, but could potentially provide a way of separating results into ride or run-walk.

You should be able to see your own history in > Main Menu > App Event Log > look for BGLOCATION: Activity Change.... but you might need to play with the settings to get a sufficient level of logging for this to show.

Re: One course - Multiple ways to "run" it

Ken Gullins
From a user point of view, I would suggest having the user select the "type" of workout at the beginning, before you hit "start". This is how it works with exercise apps, like Strava etc, where there is a drop-down box of supported activity types (eg nordic skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, ebiking etc.)

What happens after that is up to the hosts and programmers. Results are tabulated separately by sport and additional analysis is available for a fee (this is their business model)

The analogy breaks down at some point because common exercise apps are mainly concerned with performance factors like time, distance, heartrate, calories etc.  Navigation, if it is addressed at all is only in the context of Helping you follow the course successfully, rather than testing your ability to do it.

So, I would try to learn from the way other exercise apps approach tracking, while adapting it to the particulars of Orienteering. Hope this helps. I don't actually do Orienteering - everything but! So I apologize if this is all a total red herring.

Re: One course - Multiple ways to "run" it

MichaelRaz
Thanks Ken

This is similar to what I would see.  My original post is to see if I have missed something within the current architecture.  I suspect I will be submitting a feature enhancement.

By the way, I realized at some point you mentioned using another application to track your location.  As you are now using check sites more I assume you know that you can set options to show your path and location on the map in MapRunF.

Michael Raz
1-613-796-4780 (cell)

On Jan 8, 2021, at 19:10, Ken Gullins [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 From a user point of view, I would suggest having the user select the "type" of workout at the beginning, before you hit "start". This is how it works with exercise apps, like Strava etc, where there is a drop-down box of supported activity types (eg nordic skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, ebiking etc.)

What happens after that is up to the hosts and programmers. Results are tabulated separately by sport and additional analysis is available for a fee (this is their business model)

The analogy breaks down at some point because common exercise apps are mainly concerned with performance factors like time, distance, heartrate, calories etc.  Navigation, if it is addressed at all is only in the context of Helping you follow the course successfully, rather than testing your ability to do it.

So, I would try to learn from the way other exercise apps approach tracking, while adapting it to the particulars of Orienteering. Hope this helps. I don't actually do Orienteering - everything but! So I apologize if this is all a total red herring.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/One-course-Multiple-ways-to-run-it-tp876p878.html
To unsubscribe from One course - Multiple ways to "run" it, click here.
NAML