Strava?

lawriej
I'm having an issue with the Strava upload in MapRunF.

I choose the Strava Upload option from the dropdown. That takes me to Strava web where I log in and I'm them presented with a screen asking me to authorise MapRunF, which I do. I'm then asked if I want to open in Strava (which I do). All the while there's an upload screen in MapRunF saying it's uploading track to Strava... but nothing ever happens.

Checking the authorised apps screen in Strava MapRunF never appears.

Am I missing something?

Re: Strava?

The Strava interface was upgraded in version (v 4.8.8). Please check your version.

After you see the Strava web page to login, and authorise MapRunF, it should ask if you want to open in MapRunF (not Strava).

To fix this, you may need to delete the Strava App from your phone. Try MapRunF again. Then reinstall the Stava App.

Re: Strava?

lawriej
Thanks Peter

I am running 4.8.8

I've done as you suggest and deleted the Strava app. Reran the authorisation from MapRunF and I can see the allowed authorisation in Strava apps. So hopefully it will upload correctly next time I run a course.

Forum isn’t allowing me to post this reply

On 1 May 2020, at 21:25, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

The Strava interface was upgraded in version (v 4.8.8). Please check your version.

After you see the Strava web page to login, and authorise MapRunF, it should ask if you want to open in MapRunF (not Strava).

To fix this, you may need to delete the Strava App from your phone. Try MapRunF again. Then reinstall the Stava App.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p46.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

Re: Strava?

Lawrie,

You can check this by opening the result that you would like to upload to Strava (in MapRunF).

Then use the menu at the top to upload to Strava

What error did you get from the Forum?

Peter

On 1 May 2020, at 21:25, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] <<a href="x-msg://123/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=52&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

The Strava interface was upgraded in version (v 4.8.8). Please check your version.

After you see the Strava web page to login, and authorise MapRunF, it should ask if you want to open in MapRunF (not Strava).

To fix this, you may need to delete the Strava App from your phone. Try MapRunF again. Then reinstall the Stava App.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p46.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p52.html
To start a new topic under MapRun, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MapRun, click here.
NAML

Re: Strava?

lawriej
Hi Peter

Just tried again with a different track and it worked perfectly, (but loaded as a ride).

I did try with the previous track which I'd already loaded via the gpx. It didn't tell me the track was already there... should it have?

Forum was telling me the submit had failed and to try again... maybe my browser got its underwear twisted... so trying again

Best wishes

Lawrie

Re: Strava?

Lawrie,

Good to hear you got it working.

Regarding Strava's Activity Type: As far as I can see MapRun is not setting a type when it uploads the track to Strava, so maybe your default activity type is applied(?).  I'll have think about whether we could improve this... maybe prompt the user at upload time to say if it was a Ride (MTBO), Run, Walk.(with a default value or Run).

Strava normally has a check that means it rejects tracks that it thinks are a duplicate. I don't know if this is something the user can control/over-ride.

Re the Forum: This is a new tool to us. We will keep a watch for anomalies and if we have suggestions, we will post about them.

Re: Strava?

Cate
I had the same problem but I deleted Strava and then tried the upload and it worked. I re-downloaded Strava afterwards and was able to upload a course I ran last week. Hoping it works for you as well now!

Re: Strava?

lawriej

My default activity type is run, so was surprised to see the track loaded as a ride.

I guess a default activity type of run within MapRunF would be a good thing.

Best regards

Lawrie

On 3 May 2020, at 21:52, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Lawrie,

Good to hear you got it working.

Regarding Strava's Activity Type: As far as I can see MapRun is not setting a type when it uploads the track to Strava, so maybe your default activity type is applied(?).  I'll have think about whether we could improve this... maybe prompt the user at upload time to say if it was a Ride (MTBO), Run, Walk.(with a default value or Run).

Strava normally has a check that means it rejects tracks that it thinks are a duplicate. I don't know if this is something the user can control/over-ride.

Re the Forum: This is a new tool to us. We will keep a watch for anomalies and if we have suggestions, we will post about them.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p57.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

Re: Strava?

lawriej
Hi Cate

Yes that worked for me too :)

Lawrie

On 4 May 2020, at 02:42, Cate [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I had the same problem but I deleted Strava and then tried the upload and it worked. I re-downloaded Strava afterwards and was able to upload a course I ran last week. Hoping it works for you as well now!

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p59.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

Re: Strava?

abutterfield
Hi Peter,

I am running MapRunF 5.0.9 on an Android smartphone. I am trying to upload to Strava but it hangs at the Strava authorise page - I click on "Authorise" but nothing happens. I don't have the Strava app installed.

Any idea what might be going on?

Re: Strava?

Alex,

That sounds like connectivity problems... but if not, I'd say restart MapRunF (and the phone if necessary). If there are still issues, I'd delete the Strava App and reinstall it. (You don't lose any data when you do this).

Re: Strava?

lawriej
Alex - any particular reason why you haven't installed the Strava App? I think Strava is expecting it to exist on your phone?

Lawrie

Re: Strava?

abutterfield
Hi Lawrie,

  Andrew here, but apologies for not signing my original post !

I had an old Strava account that I hadn't used for years - most of my GPS tracks come from a Garmin Forerunner
and end up in Garmin Connect. A few days ago I re-activated my Strava account, because it will be used for an
event I plan to participate in later this year.

I didn't use my phone for GPS tracking at all, until I found my self using MaprunF - we've been trying it out here
in Ireland - I've been a guinea-pig for it for a while.

I saw the Strava upload option yesterday, and decided to try to upload my most recent run.

Is having the Strava app on the phone a pre-requisite for uploading to Strava?

Regards, Andrew

On 17 Aug 2020, at 12:01, lawriej [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alex - any particular reason why you haven't installed the Strava App? I think Strava is expecting it to exist on your phone?

Lawrie

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p570.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

Re: Strava?

lawriej
Hi Andrew

Yes, I think it is, even though that when you do the upload from MapRunF it doesn’t invoke the Strava app. I suppose it must utilise the app’s connection to Strava in the background.

Cheers

Lawrie

On 17 Aug 2020, at 12:01, lawriej [via MapRun] <<a href="x-msg://4/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=571&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

Alex - any particular reason why you haven't installed the Strava App? I think Strava is expecting it to exist on your phone?

Lawrie

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p570.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p571.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

Re: Strava?

IanW
I'm having problems with uploading to Strava despite reading through this forum and trying the recommended fixes. Sometimes it just freezes on the Authorise page and occassionally I see a message saying Uploading to Strava with a swirly thing in the middle but it never does. I'm sat at my computer desk at home using WiFi so don't think it's connectivity. I've not been able to get it to work on any of my 3 runs so far (tried on 3 different days).

Can MapRunF export a file that can be manually loaded into Strava?

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Strava?

lawriej
Hi Ian

Are you using the strava app? If so, delete it then try to re-authorise again. That’s what worked for me. Upload (manual) should work now. Or, You can re-install the strava app and upload from that should work.

Yes, you can use the email track option and do a manual upload through the strava website

Hope this helps

Lawrie

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 14:56, IanW [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm having problems with uploading to Strava despite reading through this forum and trying the recommended fixes. Sometimes it just freezes on the Authorise page and occassionally I see a message saying Uploading to Strava with a swirly thing in the middle but it never does. I'm sat at my computer desk at home using WiFi so don't think it's connectivity. I've not been able to get it to work on any of my 3 runs so far (tried on 3 different days).

Can MapRunF export a file that can be manually loaded into Strava?

Thanks,

Ian

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p616.html

To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.

NAML

Re: Strava?

IanW
Hi Lawrie,

Yes I've worked through the forum suggestions including deleting the Strava app and reinstalling it but still no luck. just trying again now. If it doesn't work I'll use the email track option.
Thanks for your help,
Ian

Re: Strava?

lawriej
Hi Ian

Did you try to authorise before reinstalling?

Lawrie

On 7 Sep 2020, at 16:03, IanW [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Lawrie,

Yes I've worked through the forum suggestions including deleting the Strava app and reinstalling it but still no luck. just trying again now. If it doesn't work I'll use the email track option.
Thanks for your help,
Ian

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Strava-tp45p618.html
To unsubscribe from Strava?, click here.
NAML

Re: Strava?

IanW
I did authorise and it started uploading the track to Strava but been a couple of minutes now with the swirly thing on screen. Guessing it's not working but I hadn't reinstalled Strava because it was trying.

Re: Strava?

IanW
Have reinstalled Strava but still no success in uploading the file.

I've now emailed the track to myself so will do a manual upload.
12