MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

1234 ... 13

MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

This topic is for discussion of MapRunG.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MichaelRaz
Happy to beta test. Fenix 5X

Connect IQ Store

dcurrie
MapRunG isn't showing up in the Connect IQ Store for me (yet).
-- David Currie

Re: Connect IQ Store

David,

??? Maybe try again please. Others have been able to download it. Maybe some caching issue?
0.2.3 was initially available; now 0.2.4 should be there.

Re: Connect IQ Store

dcurrie
No - still nothing. Even tried installing the IQ Store on another device and nothing there either. Perhaps some sort of regional limitation or rollout?

On the plus side, I tried another course today with the version that I already have and this time I was able to import the track back into MapRunF without error. This was a scatter rather than a line but, otherwise, I'm not sure what was different!
-- David Currie

Re: Connect IQ Store

David,

What Garmin device do you have paired with your phone?

Re: Connect IQ Store

dcurrie
It's paired to the Fenix 6s Pro.
-- David Currie

Re: Connect IQ Store

Mark
Hi,

Its available in the UK as I've downloaded it for my VivoActive HR.

I've just seen the update so downloaded that.

My question was going to be - does Garmin Connect auto update apps or do we have to keep going in and manually downloading a new version as its released?

Re: Connect IQ Store

Probably my fault - I had you down as having a FR235 and fenix6S.
I think the issue is we haven't included fenix6S Pro in the beta test!
Can you try your FR235 (if you have one!)

Re: Connect IQ Store

dcurrie
Life is never simple! The FR235 is my wife's so I try to install Connect IQ Store on her (ageing) phone and I get "Your device isn't compatible with this version."! I'll have another go at finding a working combination tomorrow.
-- David Currie

Re: Connect IQ Store

Mark
Try a different way.

Garmin Connect App
Menu
Connect IQ Store
Tap the device
Do you want to install Connect IQ (choose not now)
Then search in the window that loads for MapRunG

That method works for me.

Re: Connect IQ Store

Mark
Just to add if you didn't know you can pair more than one Garmin device to the Connect app on the mobile.

So you can add your wife's watch to your mobile.

Re: Connect IQ Store

We'll try to add fenix6S Pro to the list... but it may take a day or so.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Andrew H
My wife and I ran a course with MapRunG today.
I used Fenix 3 and my wife used 235.

We had a few troubles setting it up firstly on my wifes iphone SE which has a small screen, it was impossible to enter the watch ID as the field could not be selected. She had to change the phones font to a tiny one so that the text "GPS Watch Mode" would fit on a single line so that the entry field could be selected.

Another issue was it is not clear where the Garmin ID number actually comes from, It can be seen in the App settings in Garmin Connect, but how is it generated?

Anyway once set up the event worked perfectly. No more having to carry a phone and deal with it, being locked/unlocked/silent/failing to notify/getting wet/dropped etc etc.

Issues: The Garmin screens are small. The Start up screen has very small text which I could read with my glasses on. I understand that there if a fair bit of information to display. But once you are running much of the information is not required. All you really need to see is which is the control you just punched and the elapsed time. I would like to see these in much larger fonts.

Re: Connect IQ Store

dcurrie
Thanks Mark. I did consider that but I don't particularly want Connect to drag all the data off my wife's watch into my account.
-- David Currie

Re: Connect IQ Store

dcurrie
Thanks Peter
-- David Currie

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Mark
I actually love the data and think it works really well. I guess if you need glasses to read I can see why people would think its small, but for the watch face size it looks and works great.

Just ran a course today and feedback very positive. Also much quicker upload time at the end - found the file on the server about 5mins after the run. That was much quicker than before.

Also nice addition to save at the end or exit on the watch.

Really positive experience as a user. Thanks Peter.

Device: VivoActive HR

First Test: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MichaelRaz
Fenix 5X, iPhone XS Max (everything latest software)

Install:
Overall a very good integration with the Garmin environment with no system level issues.

Watch specific:  During the initial setup when the Watch ID is displayed, the watch screen contains general instructions on entering the ID into MapRunF.  This results in the ID being on the bottom of the screen in a very tiny font that was close to unreadable (especially for us old guys).  It was difficult to tell an 8 from a 3 due to some pixilation (I should have taken a screen shot - sorry).  Although there are other means to capture the ID (through Garmin Connect on the phone) this is the first presentation of the ID and the one that most people will use I suspect.  Perhaps the layout of the screen could be modified to reduce the text and present the ID in the center (maybe two lines?) in a larger font.  I realize that this may be very watch dependent.

Setting up Event:  Very smooth and a very nice integration between the two environments.

Running the Event:  Again, no general issues at all.  Occasional slow reaction to a punch but this is likely more to do with the GPS catching up and the limited processing on the watch.  I'll likely try playing around to set up a F235 as well and try both watches concurrently (using that other application).  Naturally it is very difficult to provide a valid GPS comparison.

Uploading Results:  Again, no issues at all - very smooth and easy, especially given the limitations involved in linking with Garmin.

Issue/Comment?  During the run the watch shows the last Control Code and displays the number of controls punched out of the total.  I realize this is "as designed" but there is an issue from my perspective on this.  I punched an extra control in the middle of the course (just ran past it - no issue) so, from that point forward the display (example) 7/13 is no longer really valid and can cause confusion as the next control to be punched is actually 7.  It might be possible to end up with something like 15/13, which provides no real value and is misleading.  I'm not sure how to solve this and understand the difficulty in ignoring extra punches dynamically during a point to point.

Now for the feature request (I know it is really early to be asking for a feature):  I'll go one step more and suggest that maybe control count, and the page that shows all the controls punched, is not needed, or should be set by the administrator of the event to show or not (applies to MaprunG and F actually).  I'm looking at this from the perspective of a regular competitive event with Si ( or other).  The runner does not have a system that tracks which controls they have punched and, other than validating the Control Code at the flag, has no means of seeing the status of how many controls have been punched.  Given that MapRunG needs to have a paper map (and I acknowledge that this is the focus in our club, while not for everyone), perhaps, at the most, the watch should show the last Control Code that was punched - just like coming across a control in the woods and checking the code, hoping it is on your map and you can now figure out where you are (or is that just me??).  Perhaps a solution is to provide two modes - non competitive and competitive, with the latter not displaying as much details - more like a standard SI event.  Understood that this would need to be synced with the MapRunF system to keep things consistent during an event regardless of which system was being used.

Overall, really successful first outing with this and really appreciate the hard work that has obviously gone into it.  Thanks so much Peter (and team).

Michael Raz
Ottawa Orienteering Club

Re: Connect IQ Store

David,

fenix 6S Pro is now available in the store (v 0.2.5).
No need to import all your wife's runs (and get credit for them!!)

Re: First Test: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Andrew H
Yes I agree with MichaelRaz, there is no need to keep track of number of controls that have been punched, you have to do this yourself in "normal" orienteering.
I installed V0.2.5 on my Fenix 5X this morning, again everything works really well. But for me the font size is a big problem. It is one thing being able to read the small fonts prestart, but reading them whilst running, with sweat/rain on my glasses is going to be very difficult. Here is my suggestion for the main page.
1234 ... 13