MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

1234567 ... 13

Re: Initial run with Fenix 3 - crashed the watch

Steve1
Peter,

I'm quite an advanced user of the Fenix 3, so I'm quite capable of downloading the log files off my watch if you tell me what you want and where they are!

My Fenix always has the latest software as far as I know - they don't release many updates these days  - it says software version 9.40

I must say, I DID change GPS capture from Smart to every second at the start of that run, so that is one thing that has changed. I will try that with MapRunF because i think that will be an improvement anyway!

I do have a few uploaded large .FIT and .GPX tracks uploaded to my watch and it usually does a good enough job of directing me along courses on my bike. Perhaps I am running out of storage space on the watch and need to delete them? Although, it seems more like a memory problem with the crash? What else uses memory? I have other IQ apps installed.... but I doubt they are loaded into memory unless I have them selected as a current activity? I DO have steps counting on, GLONASS is off, I can't really think of anything I can do to free up memory?

I will try a few things like removing those FIT course files and then see if I can do a short run with MapRunF and G running.

Since we are OK in Qld for 500 people to events next week, I assume we can meet face to face again soon :)

PS, if the end result is I *must* buy a brand new Fenix 6X Pro Solar, then that is a great outcome ;)

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Si Read
Thanks Peter, found it. Expected it to be a bit more obvious!

Will give it a go tomorrow and see if it proves a more reliable GPS tool.

Si

Re: Initial run with Fenix 3 - crashed the watch

Steve,

Thanks for that... Could you try to extract the log files and send them to me please:

Debug logs
==========
Debug logs are accessed by connecting your watch to the computer. It should appear as a mass storage device just like a USB drive.

a) As mentioned above in case of a device crash the device will create one of these files for a device crash. This file keeps growing, so sometime it may have info
about some issue you had long in the past, perhaps with a different app. You can delete the file to start fresh if you want.
/Garmin/Apps/CIQ_LOG.txt (older CIQ)
/Garmin/Apps/CIQ_LOG.yml (newer CIQ)

Yes - try some things to see if you can get a bit more memory capacity on the device ... but I agree with your comments about memory rather than storage as the likely limitation.

Yes - hopefully back face to face very soon.... and a new watch never hurts!!

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

rcronin
Hi Peter,

I re-"ran" today using MapRunG version 0.3.1 on my Garmin 645 and MapRunF 5.0.7 on iOS. In summary, it's not pulling through from Garmin Connect again.

MapRunG - working fine but slower than v0.1.3 to start and get course from phone.

MapRunF upload from Garmin - it's finding the activity with duration (17:42), but "Punches: 0" (should be 2) and message "WARNING Developer FieldNumber: 43 Size: 20 DeveloperDataIndex: 0 Bad state: No element"
Clicking "Use this track" gives result "Did not start" but it does have GPS plot this time. It's let me upload so you can see what I mean
http://p.fne.com.au/rg/cgi-bin/SelectResultFileForSplitsBrowserFiltered.cgi?act=fileToSplitsBrowser&eventName=ScoreResults_Newport%2520West%2520PXAS%2520ScoreN60.csv
http://p.fne.com.au/rg/cgi-bin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=5413&kieli=&cID=1&pID=50009
(the watch is still rubbish at being a GPS tracker...)

Kind regards,
Richard

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Andrew H
That's interesting Richard, I had exactly the same error message today. Worked fine during run but failed at the retrieving track from Garmin Connect stage.
MapRunF 5.0.5, MapRunG 0.3.1, Garmin Fenix 5x

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

We suspect that there may be some data overflow issue occurring.

There is a new version of MapRunG - 0.3.3  aimed at addressing this ... although further investigation is continuing.

logs sent - although I found the one you wanted in /Garmin/Apps/LOGS/CIQ_LOG.txt

Re: Initial run with Fenix 3 - crashed the watch

Steve

Report back from our Garmin Guru:

"In the CIQ_LOG.txt the bottom messages are of interest.
I do see Out Of Memory Error.

So i did a pile of minor changes, mostly commenting out debug code. And a few other things. See 0.3.4 in readme.
Uploaded to garmin store."

That may improve things ... but if you are looking for a reason for a brand new watch..... that would be a great thing! (It looks like a Fenix 3 is going to be questionable for this App).

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MarkW
Vivoactive 3, in the forest with 18 controls in total, worked perfectly, responded more quickly than using the phone. Very pleased.

OK, have downloaded new version and will have a play.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Si Read
Successfully completed a MapRun using G on F235. Left the phone in the car and it went like a dream. Also loaded back to phone when finished, first to Garmin Connect then all went well back to MapRunF and Strava. GPS accuracy certainly more accurate and stable then using the iPhone.

Off to try a Forest MapRun tomorrow so will see how it performs under tree cover.

Very pleased so far.

As you said, looks like the F235 is sorted.

Si

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MichaelRaz
Peter, I have twice received email notification regarding an update available through TestFlight (IOS) - latest being 5.0.8 but TestFlight is still showing 5.0.5 with no update showing.  This is not really a big deal as I will not be able to get out on any courses until next week so I cannot do any beta testing anyway but just in case others are seeing the same thing.

Thanks

Michael Raz

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Si Read
Same with me.

Si

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Sorry, maybe it got tripped up by the Apple (2-3 step process).
I published it to TestFlight for a small group of "internal users" - which Apple allows immediately.
I also submitted it for approval for a larger groups of "external users" ... which Apple needs to approve.
That approval has now come through.
So could you try again please.

More feedback

dcurrie
Took the Fenix 6S Pro out for another couple of runs with the latest updates. The first was a linear course with a remote start. Having transferred the course to my watch and started MapRunG I then exited again to record the jog to the start. Having left my phone behind, I have to confess that when I then switched back to MapRunG I was somewhat thrown by the message about connecting to my phone again and it was only luck that I then moved to the next screen which allows you to use the saved file rather than turning back for home. In the absence of a connection, I think it would be better if it immediately offered the option of using a saved file or retrying.

As an aside, is it necessary to start MapRunG for the course to count as "saved" or is it sufficient to have synced it to the watch?

Today was another linear course, this time via CheckSites, and we made good use of the "start anywhere" function which worked like a charm. Two pieces of feedback this time. Firstly, when scrolling through the results in MapRunG after finishing it shows the total time but the distance is blank. I'm guessing this screen is also available during the course - I'll check next time whether there is anything there when I'm running. Secondly, back in MapRunF on Android, having successfully downloaded the course but with one mispunch, the HITMO option results in an "Error: Bad state: No element" message.

Cheers
David
-- David Currie

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Andrew H
I too have received two email notifications that an update is available in testflight, but when I open testflight the only version available is 5.0.5

iPhone 7plus  iOS 13.5.1

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

PaulBasher
Hi Peter
Another test run today  fenix 5s, MapRunG (0.3.4), MapRunF(still 5.05).
Approximately 8.5km, Time: 01hr 07min 46secs.11 controls punched
Great experience with a couple of issues / comments.

MapRunG is not populating / retaining the distance field on the watch. (approx 8km) after the run, the field is blank

MapRun Pace field is confusing , it keeps changing value as you look at it some of the values are: 01:06:09, 01:03:48, 01:01:46 min/km plus other values.

Will you be providing a mechanism within MapRunG to clear down the tracks (I now have 8)

I am not able to download MapRunF latest via TestFlight (as mentioned by others)
Thanks again for a great App, Paul

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MichaelRaz
Hi Peter
Regarding Testflight  updates - still not showing up.  TestFlight is still stuck on 5.0.5 so missed 5.0.7 and .8 versions.   Only thing I can find related is suggestion that the info.plist file have the line “ App Uses Non-Exempt Encryption = NO” in it - knowing nothing about the Apple beta process I have no idea what this means!!

Michael

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MapRunF 5.0.8 has now been released.
I'm hoping this is the 'final' beta version.
Importantly, it handles cases where the FIT file is being returned from Garmin with an apparent internal inconsistency which resulted in a lack of results being generated.
Please upgrade, and test this version... Let me know if you can't access it.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

PaulBasher

Hi Peter

I am still seeing 5.0.5

Paul

Paul Basher
email: [hidden email]

On 04/07/2020 21:03, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] wrote:
MapRunF 5.0.8 has now been released.
I'm hoping this is the 'final' beta version.
Importantly, it handles cases where the FIT file is being returned from Garmin with an apparent internal inconsistency which resulted in a lack of results being generated.
Please upgrade, and test this version... Let me know if you can't access it.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/MapRunG-MapRun-on-a-Garmin-Watch-tp188p353.html
To unsubscribe from MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch, click here.
NAML
1234567 ... 13