Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Some people using MapRunF on an iPhone have reported issues with using email functions. Eg to send a KMZ file or their GPX file.

Apple have some restrictions on Apps sending emails when you are not using Apple Mail.

See a discussion here about non-Apple email on iOS:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-change-the-default-mail-app-in-iOS

We have had reports that:
- A user could not send using Gmail on an iPhone,
- They reinstalled Apple Mail, and
- They were then able to send emails from MapRunF (using Gmail!)

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

RobinStrain
Hi

Are you aware of any problems with Android phones. I am still waiting for the email of the kmz and my wife. doing it on her phone (also Android), received an email but there was no attachment.

Thanks
Robin

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Robin,

I am not aware of any specific problems.

MapRunF doesn't have any inherent emailing capability... Instead, what it does is ask the operating system on the phone to pass a draft message to the default email system being used. This is typically Apple Mail on iPhones and Gmail on Android.

What you should see, after tapping "Email" in MapRunF is a draft email message in the email client (Gmail/Apple Mail). You should be able to confirm that the email has the attachments you want to send and you should be able edit the message and set a recipient. You then need to tap "Send" in the email client.

The message should go via your outbox and be seen in your sent mail.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

RobinStrain
Thanks Peter.

I am not sure what I did wrong during our in Scottish Orienteering workshop yesterday, but it worked fine this morning. Your comment "MapRunF doesn't have any inherent emailing capability" was helpful.

Great app!

Robin

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Judy Bell
I discovered this morning that if I used the autofill facility on the keyboard to select the email address it did not work - but if I type in the whole email address it works fine.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

wivory
I can't get the email facility to work on my Android phone.  The email opens in the standard email app, but when I hit 'send', the email fails to send, with the error 'coud not load attachment'.  Same sequence of steps works just fine on an iPhone.  I'm not using auto-fill on either.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Hi,

You didn't say what you are trying to export. (KMZ, KML, GPX)

Try exporting a GPX file from one of your results... That is, "Show Results", then select a result, then from the menu on the top right, select "Email Track". You should have a draft email with your track attached.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

wivory
I'm trying to create a KMZ file.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Keith Willdig
I'm also having problems. Must be missing something simple. I'm on Android. The email is created and sits in Outgoing Mail together with the associated attachment. There is an error message on the mail that says unable to get a network connection even though there is one.. I get an 'unable to send' message when I try and send it although the unable to get a network connection message disappears. I can move into Drafts and send from there but that simply transfers it back to the outgoing mail box and we go into the same loop.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Keith
Is this the email client you normally use on this phone?
Can you send other messages?

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

wittiber
I am also facing problems emailing a track from my iPhone.
I read the previous comments, but still cannot get it working.
When I push "Email Track" nothing happens.
Whenever I klick on an e-mail adress on any web page, my apple mail app pops up immediately having copied the e-mail address into "To:". So, my e-mail app should be configured correctly.

Any ideas what else I could do?

Have come back to this after a year, now using MapRun6. Exactly the same problem trying to create a KMZ file. When I come to save it, and try to email the file, the default Android mail app opens, but when I try to send, it fails, stating 'unable to load attachment'. Any idea how to fix this?

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Hi,

Are you on version 6.3.8? There was an issue with 6.3.7 on some recent versions of Android.

More details please: App Version and Android version.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

wivory

Maprun 6.3.8, android 9

Sent from my Xperia by Sony smartphone

---- Peter Effeney [via MapRun] wrote ----

Hi,

Are you on version <a href="tel:6.3.8">6.3.8? There was an issue with <a href="tel:6.3.7">6.3.7 on some recent versions of Android.

More details please: App Version and Android version.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Problems-emailing-from-MapRunF-on-an-iPhone-tp79p1172.html
To start a new topic under MapRun, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone, click here.
NAML

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Using gmail?

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

wivory

No, this is the 'email' app on a Sony Xperia running android.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Problems-emailing-from-MapRunF-on-an-iPhone-tp79p1174.html
To start a new topic under MapRun, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone, click here.
NAML

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

Maybe that email client is incompatible with the software library that MapRun6 uses. You could also check MapRun6 has all the permissions required.

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

wivory

Would there be any possibility of an option to save the kmz file rather than email it directly? I could then email it as a separate action. I can't find any way to change default mail application and maprun appears to have relevant permissions.

Thanks

William

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/Problems-emailing-from-MapRunF-on-an-iPhone-tp79p1176.html
To start a new topic under MapRun, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone, click here.
NAML

Re: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

I'm assuming emailing is not working at all from MapRun6 on your phone. (eg emailing a track from the results screen). I don't have any other reports of this at this point, so we are reluctant to build extra functionality.
If the issue is that you want to create a KMZ file using the "Create KMZ Map" function, you could work around this by using the web-based version of this at https://console.maprun.net/#/kmz_create

RE: Problems emailing from MapRunF on an iPhone

wivory

I’ve not tried emailing a track, but the web-based ‘Create KMZ File’ option does exactly what I need so that solves the problem. Hadn’t realised that existed or I’d have used it in preference to the phone.

Thanks,

William