MapRun v6

This topic is to cover testing of MapRun v6.

Version 6 of MapRun is being released as a new App in both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store.
This allows MapRunF and MapRun6 to co-exist in a transition period. (and be rationalised later).
MapRun v6 will be available to a closed group initially, and all going well, will then be available to all.

The release notes are at: http://maprunners.weebly.com/releases.html

The new App is "MapRun6".

If the general release hasn't occurred yet and you would like to be involved ... email support@maprun.net. Note that if you are on Android you will need a gmail account.

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

Following are the known issues with MapRun v6:

- Time ranges for results display have not yet been implemented on the server.

- The logic of ScoreW and ScoreB has not been implemented for parameter-based scorings (ScoreP)

- NFC punching is not yet supported

- On iOS
  - If the phone is 'asleep' when a control is punched, as well as a notification, a media player dialog appears on the screen (this can be ignored)

- QR Codes - Start-Anywhere doesn't work correctly if you are using QR Codes for punching. (Finish is not detected correctly)

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

Ken Gullins
This post was updated on .
OK, got it! Available in the Google Play store.
Looks good so far: many small improvements, I see.
May take it for a walk today.

Edit: Successfully used MapRun6 for a new Check Sites route in my local woods.
- handled a "beepfest" well when I inadvertently specified 2 controls within 2r
- uploaded OK to Strava at the end
- Wasn't able to try out the new QR code and NFC punching features so someone else will have to do that

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

bcusworth
Yes, I also found it in Google Play store, installed it and discovered that an event that I just created with a start date in the future wouldn't load because the start date was being enforced. So it seems that the event available dates are working but perhaps not the results & tracks available dates?

Bill Cusworth
Nav-X Map Adventures
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

Yes that is correct - MapRun6 implements the date range restrictions for running in an event. The limits on  viewing results on the server will be implemented soon.

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

d-dixon
V6.1.8 on Android: Final option under "Settings" (Maximum amount of data stored by MapRun befor...) is not selectable for me.

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

d-dixon
I know I'm being greedy asking for enhancements before release but...

Any chance of arbitrary QR codes at each control?  For example we already have a QR-enabled heritage trail nearby so I'd have to use what was already there, and they're not ordered numerically.

Thank you!

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

Unfortunately, MapRun is built around the expectation that controls will be identified by integer values. Peter

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

Sorry - this is more of a placeholder for a future function. There is currently no automatic management of the volume of historic data in MapRun. (except for some of the logging data).

Currently you can:
- manually swipe events away to delete the stored copy of past events
- manually swipe results away - and you have option to delete all data older than the current result

Re: MapRun v6

Urban
Will MapRun6 eventually "overwrite" MapRunF on Android / iPhone with an automatic update as the (what I would see as an excellent "event specific" feature) "hide map" option seems very useful for how our orienteering club would want to implement MapRun? ....or is MapRun6 destined to replace MapRunF as a standalone app. (....probably not, but just asking!)

Thanks.
Urban and Sprint Orienteer, Runner and occasional Zwifter.
#UrbanOrienteering
#ThinkFastRunHard

Re: MapRun v6

I like the idea of having two Apps in the store as alternatives, in case something goes wrong unexpectedly with one of them. (eg incompatible with a phone software upgrade etc).

The most likely sequence is:
- MapRunF stays as the "fallback"
- MapRun6 becomes the new normal
- The old MapRun gets overwritten with MapRun6
- MapRunF ultimately disappears

Re: MapRun v6

bcusworth
Hi Peter,

Can you provide the link to MapRun6 in the Apple App Store? I was able to find the link for the Google Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.fne.maprun6) but when I search the App Store, I get no results.

Bill

Re: MapRun v6

bcusworth
Oops, never mind. I found the link on the home page. I had been looking at the QuickGuide tab which isn't updated yet.

Bill

Re: MapRun v6

klaasw
Tried MapRun6 yesterday, all OK and some nice improvements, but two comments. The high-res red line + low-res blue confused me (as I use blue lines for features to recce...) but why is the low-res line there at all? The other thing is that a course that has been started but exited again before punching any controls is not shown by MapRun6 in the results. I used that in MapRunF a lot for recce-ing (don't want to actually punch anything, just have a hi-res gpx file) and also for seeing if anybody has run any of my routes.

Re: MapRun v6

klaasw
Sorry, just saw the 30 seconds thing. Perfect

Re: MapRun v6

On the red and blue lines that show as tracks - see the explanation on the maprunners website.

I might tidy this up and just show a single track in future versions, but I thought whilst we are settling in the idea of have two location feeds, it might be good to see both traces.

On the other point I see you have found the documentation on this... If the opening the event is just a "quick peek" for less than 30 seconds we now discard the track. (After a prompt that alerts the runner to this).

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

pfoulkes
The limits on viewing results is a good enhancement - we're likely to make use of it when we can have competitive events again.  Thanks :-)

The new Event entry form indicates that there will be 3 date ranges that will apply:
Dates the event can be run
Dates the results table will be visible
Dates that the tracks will be visible

I think there is probably a fourth category that would be worth adding: dates that scores are available (just overall scores, not # controls, time, control numbers visited, etc.).
When we set up score events to run over a week or two, it would be nice for runners to know how their score compares with other runners when they finish their run.  However, we'd like to prevent later runners looking at the controls other people have visited, and prevent them looking at other people's tracks.
It would be good therefore if we could allow people to see just total scores of each participant, but not allow them to see the full results table (controls visited etc.) or other people's tracks, until after the event window has closed.
Is that possible with the functionality you are implementing?

A separate question: If that option is selected, will runners be able to see their own results & route if routes/tracks are not yet visible?   It would be good if runners could see their own controls visited and the route they took.  E.g. to understand where they might have made mistakes, or if they wanted to challenge a missed control.

Also, a usability suggestion - could the default end date for results & tracks be the default for runs + 1 year rather than defaulting to 2 years?  So if you want an event to be available for 3 years for example, you would only need to change the run end date not all 3 dates.
Similarly, could the default start for results & tracks be set to the run start date if the run start date is changed?

Re: MapRun v6 - Show me, control options

GFazekas
Firts initial tests are fine with Android for MapRun6
- select event (from same event folder, returning to the recent folder)
- follow a course and upload the result / track

No issues with courses
- without map tab
- with controls shown only after punching
- with controls never shown

Show me option
- worked properly

Old option "V" - show continously the current position
- placemarkers could be added during the run

When we open the track for analysis, it would be great to see the points where either "Show me " option was used or placemarkers were added.

Thank you so much!

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

The date ranges relating to results are for results display on the server.
Runners can still see what they've always seen on their phone.

Regarding an extra date range for total scores. We don't have a results display of total scores currently so that would need to be a new item, and possibly have restricted date ranges.

I'm thinking that I see how much these time ranges get before I go doing anything more with it... and OK on a different approach to default values.

The main drivers for the date ranges were:
- holding back results until the end of an event
- allowing close off of events for participation where the map is restricted (eg by the landowner)
- allowing auto archive of the event and the results after a defined period.

Re: MapRun v6 - KNOWN ISSUES

StephenB
Tried to use MapRun6 on an Android device with a physical keyboard and fell at the first hurdle. Keyboard entry does not work properly when entering your name, specifically:
- Tab does not move to next field, instead it just enters a space
- Delete key does not work

MapRunF works fine (as does every other app I've ever tried!).
123