MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

1 ... 3456789 ... 13

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MichaelRaz
MapRunF 5.0.9 Beta
iPhone XS Max IOS 13.5.1
Fenix 5X

Although not specifically related to MapRunG, I tested the latest MapRunF build  just released with "Notifications to Garmin Watches when using MaprunF".

Previously:  In the past I have had only limited success with notifications to my watch.  Even with the IOS Notification Grouping set to OFF for MapRunF, unless I cleared each notification on the watch as it came in (two button pushes), follow-on notifications did not come up on the watch.  Despite numerous setting  adjustments I could not get consistent results.

5.0.9
Settings.  IOS - Show Previews Always, MapRun F Allow Notifications ON,  Notification Grouping set OFF, Banner style set Temporary .  Garmin Connect - Notifications set All On during Activity.

Tested the new build this morning and it worked really well.  Each punch showed on the watch and remained up for about 30 seconds.  If still up when another punch was made, this would vibrate on the watch and overwrite the last one.  After about 30 seconds the notification on the watch would clear.

Thanks for this update!  The advantage of being able to put the phone in a suitable (from a GPS perspective) and not worry about missing it beeping or vibrating because the notification is coming through the watch is fantastic.

Michael Raz

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Mark
Thanks Peter. I'll not bother worrying about that then.

Tested again today and perfect experience again. Definitely more accurate than the phone and quicker to punch so all working great.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Richard,

Thanks - great to hear.
I've looked at the logs and the warning is now subtly different:
WARNING Substitute data being used for Developer FieldNumber: 43 Size: 20 DeveloperDataIndex: 0
as of MapRunF v5.0.8 we are now able to handle the FIT file condition OK.

Thanks again for the testing.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

PaulBasher
Hi Peter
fenix 5s, iPhone X (MapRunF 5.0.9 - MapRunG 0.3.4)
I was unable to retrieve track / results from today’s test run in MapRunF with the following error

The run started and finished correctly on the phone in MapRunG as can be seen from the screenshot below.

The only other factor was the previous run /track a few days ago that failed to start. This track is still on the phone.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Ian Phillips
Fenix 3HR. All appeared ok, but not able to retrieve track. Shows on Garmin connect ok.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Paul

Thanks for the report… looks like the server got into a bind… due to a separate issue… should be right now.

Regards

Peter

On 8 Jul 2020, at 11:16 pm, PaulBasher [via MapRun] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Peter
fenix 5s, iPhone X (MapRunF 5.0.9 - MapRunG 0.3.4)
I was unable to retrieve track / results from today’s test run in MapRunF with the following error

The run started and finished correctly on the phone in MapRunG as can be seen from the screenshot below.

The only other factor was the previous run /track a few days ago that failed to start. This track is still on the phone.

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/MapRunG-MapRun-on-a-Garmin-Watch-tp188p384.html
To start a new topic under MapRun, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MapRun, click here.
NAML

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

PaulBasher

Hi Peter

Thanks, Just checked, worked fine

Paul

Paul Basher
email: [hidden email]

On 08/07/2020 20:17, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] wrote:
[...]

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/MapRunG-MapRun-on-a-Garmin-Watch-tp188p386.html
To unsubscribe from MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch, click here.
NAML

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Pete Gilder
Peter,

Thank you for producing MapRunG, I have tried it out on a couple of occasions now it has been released and I am really impressed.  On one occasion it was totally successful but the 2nd time my Garmin crashed (I was checking out a Cycle O permanent course that exists and checking that the MapRun course I had created had all the controls in the correct places).   I was using both the MapRunG and MapRunF using CheckSites so I could check my location compared to the control and where I thought the control was!  (The funny thing was the crash was immediately after I had to divert my route due to the track being closed as a result of a police incident - I do not think the two were linked!)
Do you want any debug off my watch and if so what data?
Watch is Forerunner 235 running GarminG  0.3.4
The track I had created was 1:34:30 long and 17.8miles (28.57km long and had visited 19 controls included S/F)

Thanks

(An additional feature request I have just thought of is there a way to define an event/course as cycle/running before setting off? I know it can be changed in Garmin/Strava afterwards.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Pete,

As noted in the documentation, the Forerunner 235 is at the bottom end of the range of capabilities required to run this App... and so we'll see how it goes with a wider base of users.

If MapRunG stops operating - the 'Activity' should continue as a normal Garmin 'Run'. The track for the Activity should still be available via "Get track from Garmin", but it will have no punches. You should be able to use Review Results (HITMO) to create a result.... but obviously you won't get beeps at controls after MapRunG has stopped.

You could look on the device for:
/Garmin/Apps/LOGS/CIQ_LOG.txt  (and potentially also ERR_LOG.txt)
Send these to the support email address

Thanks

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Pete,

I've had a bit more time to look at the event you were using.
It has 36 controls + S1/F1 - which is very close to the limit we found in testing an FR235 (40 controls is mentioned in the User Guide document).

I will probably put a warning in MapRunF, for cases where courses with more than say 25-30 controls are downloaded to watches with only 64k of memory.

The only crashes we have had with MapRunG are "Out of Memory" errors - and I'd be pretty confident that this was what happened in your case.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Alistair McLean
Hi Peter

I’m using a Garmin 645Music and linking to an iPad.  I’ve installed MapRunG on the phone and put in the Watch ID to MapRunF.  When I try and send a course to watch I get the following error:

SocketException: OSError: Connection Refused, Errno = 61, address = p.fne.com.au, port = 49190

Any ideas what the problem might be:

Thanks

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Alistair
How is your phone connected to the internet - maybe a firewall?

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Alistair McLean
Thanks.  Changed to a different network.  Everything worked.  Thanks for your help.

Re: MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

Alistair - Great to hear, Peter

Removing activities from the watch

PaulBasher
Hi Peter
fenix 5s, iPhone X (MapRunF 5.0.9 - MapRunG 0.3.4)

I think we need the ability to clear down MapRunG tracks/activities from the watch.
I have recently cleared down all my running activities using the watch menu: History - Activities - Options - Delete All Activities.  All my history has been removed.  The Garmin manual also mentions removing Totals in the same way.
The MapRunG activites were NOT removed.
As there is a menu function to remove activities I'm not sure it would be managed automatically as you mentioned in a previous post?
Is it possible to delete the MapRunG activities manually (and safely) when the watch is connected to the computer.
Paul

Re: Removing activities from the watch

Paul,

Thanks for that - I agree with the need to be able to clear MapRunG activities from a watch. I've never manually deleted activities from my watch so assumed its an automatic process. (Maybe not?)

I expect that MapRunG activities are like any other activities and so would be deleted by the standard process.
I've just tried your steps ... on a FR235 and FR945 and all Activities appear to be gone... including MapRunG Activities.
Can you confirm what you are seeing ... All Activities gone? or All Activities except MapRunG activities gone?

Re: Removing activities from the watch

PaulBasher

Hi Peter

I may have misled you?

My watch does not show any activities after deleting. However from MapRunF when I select " Get track from Garmin" I still show all 14 of my tracks.  This is what I am referring to, are these coming from Garmin Connect?

I was anticipating that I wouldn't see any after deleting all my activities..

Paul

Paul Basher
email: [hidden email]

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/MapRunG-MapRun-on-a-Garmin-Watch-tp188p421.html
To unsubscribe from MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch, click here.
NAML

Re: Removing activities from the watch

Paul,

OK - I understand now.

So yes - MapRunG Activities do get deleted from the watch like any other Activity.
But deleting an Activity from the watch does not delete it from Garmin Connect... as Garmin Connect is meant to be your "permanent" history.

But you can also delete activities from Garmin Connect using the Garmin Connect App or on the Web, if you like.

"Get track from Garmin" in MapRunF is an abbreviation for "Get track from Garmin Connect". See the Mark Clews' video as he explains it very well. There is a link on the MapRunG webpage: http://maprunners.weebly.com/maprung.html

MapRunF doesn't get your track from the watch... and that's why there can be a delay in your track becoming available after the finish - your watch needs to Sync to Garmin Connect.

So my conclusion is that we don't need any specific function in MapRunF/G to manage old Activities/Tracks.

Regards

Re: Removing activities from the watch

PaulBasher

Hi Peter

I would agree - although I am still seeing tracks as available to use for results in MapRunF that have just been deleted in Garmin Connect.  I have just deleted some rubbish testing tracks and also a quick test today (12/07/2020).

These cannot be seen in Garmin Connect but still appear as available in MapRunF when I select Get Track from Garmin

I think this is part of the confusion.

Paul

Paul Basher
email: [hidden email]

http://maprun.250607.n8.nabble.com/MapRunG-MapRun-on-a-Garmin-Watch-tp188p423.html
To unsubscribe from MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch, click here.
NAML

Re: Removing activities from the watch

Paul,

I'm pretty sure Garmin won't send MapRunF an update when someone deletes a track from Garmin Connect, (for a track that Garmin have previously sent MapRunF a link to).

But I'd be pretty sure (and you can check this), if you try to use a track in MapRunF that has been deleted from Garmin Connect, then you'll get an error.

The way MapRunG uses Garmin Connect is meant to be, that immediately after your run, you "Get Track from Garmin" then you end up with a copy of this (and the result) in MapRun... I'm not expecting people to be going back in history and trying to retrieve old tracks into MapRunF.

Anyway, good to go through the discussion and check that no action is required.

Peter
1 ... 3456789 ... 13